Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
square quilts >

square quilts

square quilts

Old 08-01-2018, 04:50 PM
Power Poster

And if it will be used on the ground, like a picnic or baby quilt, it just about needs to be square!
Old 08-02-2018, 02:59 AM

Many of my quilts do end up being square. Just finished one that is, and it is beautiful. I just let the design determine the shape so that even though I sometimes set out to make a rectangle, it ends up as square. Doesn't bother me either way.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:35 AM
Power Poster

Dunster is correct about King size beds (I don't have a Queen so I don't know about them)
King beds are almost square- 76x80
Old 08-02-2018, 04:39 AM

As I make mostly quilts for beds(twin through queen), my personal preference are rectangular quilts. I like a pillow tuck and a generous drop so rectangular quilts work better for me. Whenever I find a square quilt pattern that I like, I always figure out a way to make it rectangular. I dislike square quilts that much that I'm willing to put in the extra work to make it rectangular. The quilts that I make(twin/full/queen) are not square and neither is your body. I even make rectangular baby quilts.

Go with what you like best--for me, it's rectangular.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

Something in me likes rectangles, unless they are wall hangings. Then I do not think about it. I've made both in many sizes, but try to avoid squares most of the time.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:58 PM

I prefer rectangle quilts to sq. also. I have two quilts going right now one square and one rectangle, I am planning to add something to the sq. one..but very tempted to leave it square. I have it quilted and could just add the binding but it is for a tall guy so I think Ill add length..the rectangle one was on my quilting frame until I found the backing was shifting..so I had to unsew several rows of quilting..I hate unsewing! but it was necessary so I did it and it is ready to finish quilting and then bind..
Old 08-03-2018, 03:44 AM

If I make a square quilt, it is a wall hanging.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:16 AM

I don’t like square quilts at all. I change patterns to make them rectangular.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by grncy View Post
I want to make the north star quilt from MSQC for a chirstmas gift for a male family member. I mentioned this to a quilting friend and she says she never makes square quilts.....he is quite tall and now I am not sure whether I should look for some other pattern I can make longer.....How do you all feel about square quilts?
Nice Quilt and not a bad size in reality. It will cover a bed with a small amount of side drop. He'll love it no matter how big it is or what the shape, because YOU made it especially for him.

About the shape. Square isn't my favorite as I like rectangular bed quilts. SO I often cut the borders on the Sides about an inch or so less, depending on their width. So if the border is 4" x 54" I cut 3" x 54". That might not seem like much BUT if you do the same to any inner borders on the same sides, you will make it more rectangular. Since this quilt only has the one border all around, it would be a judgement call on your part.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I much prefer square quilts and that's what I make most often. I don't understand the comment that a rectangle fits beds better. Square ones fit my king and queen mattresses. It all depends on the bed the quilt will be on, not so much on the size of the person.
I totally agree with this, I've made square quilts for full, queen, and king beds and they fit just fine! The only rectangular quilts I've made have been for twin beds.

I think it's a bit harsh to insinuate that designers of square quilts are lazy.