Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Square In A Square Blocks >

Square In A Square Blocks

Square In A Square Blocks

Old 06-29-2011, 12:05 PM

This is silly, I know, but when doing the opposite end triangles, I am being overly crazy about making sure that the point of the triangle is perfectly centered on the square piece on both sides and then the same with the opposite.

Am I being crazy? Even when I do that they always look wonky. I'm using a scant 1/4" so I can have a little to cut off and square them.

I don't seem to like any blocks where you have to place the wide end of a triangle across a square and the edges overlap. I'm never sure whether they are perfectly centered.

Does anyone have any ideas other than cutting the pieces bigger and cutting them down, because the fabrics were cut to size called for in the instructions?

Thanks guys.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
This is silly, I know, but when doing the opposite end triangles, I am being overly crazy about making sure that the point of the triangle is perfectly centered on the square piece on both sides and then the same with the opposite.

Am I being crazy? Even when I do that they always look wonky. I'm using a scant 1/4" so I can have a little to cut off and square them.

I don't seem to like any blocks where you have to place the wide end of a triangle across a square and the edges overlap. I'm never sure whether they are perfectly centered.

Does anyone have any ideas other than cutting the pieces bigger and cutting them down, because the fabrics were cut to size called for in the instructions?

Thanks guys.
I only paper piece my square in a squares. That makes them perfect. I try to NEVER sew triangles, no matter what. Too many problems with bias. I would rather waste some fabric than worry about bias and stretching. Paper piecing is SO much easier, and like I said, results in perfect blocks.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:12 PM

The only suggestion I have for you to make sure your triangles are centered on your square...fold each piece in half and crease with your fingernail. Match up your creases and pin as you would for star points. That is, put a pin straight through the center of the crease on the top unit then through the center of the bottom unit perpendicular to your fabric. Hold the pin straight up and pin normally as close as possible to the center pin. Remove center pin and finish pinning your units. This should line up your pieces accuratelty without having to do extra trimming.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
The only suggestion I have for you to make sure your triangles are centered on your square...fold each piece in half and crease with your fingernail. Match up your creases and pin as you would for star points. That is, put a pin straight through the center of the crease on the top unit then through the center of the bottom unit perpendicular to your fabric. Hold the pin straight up and pin normally as close as possible to the center pin. Remove center pin and finish pinning your units. This should line up your pieces accuratelty without having to do extra trimming.
Do you mean to crease the square piece, then you can line up the point of the triangle on both sides, then re-crease for the other sides? If so, I can't believe I never thought of that. I'm sitting here with a freakin' little ruler with a mark on it for the center and laying it on the stupid square. OMG, DUH!

Thank you, thank you, thank you all!!!!
Old 06-29-2011, 12:20 PM

If you have one of those "nubbing" guides that trims the corners so the triangle fits to the square exactly that would help.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:28 PM

Nubbing guides? I'll have to look into that. I just did a couple by creasing the the square in fours and this works fantastic.

I need to do 36 of these little buggers and I hate them so much.

You guys are awesome. I'll have to try the paper piecing way sometime too.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:36 PM

I always iron my center square in half so I have a center line to line the triangle point up with.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I always iron my center square in half so I have a center line to line the triangle point up with.
That's a great idea. I've been eye-balling mine and trying to have the same amount of "dog-ear" stick out on each side of the square.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:48 PM

Nubbing guides? I'll have to look into that. I just did a couple by creasing the the square in fours and this works fantastic.

I need to do 36 of these little buggers and I hate them so much.

You guys are awesome. I'll have to try the paper piecing way sometime too.
I've made 792 of those blocks so far. Each twin size quilt takes 88 blocks plus sashing and when I finish the last one I have in the works it'll be 10 of them. They're fast and easy though and I can make crazy combos of fabrics so they really pop with the black sashing and the girls love them.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
Do you mean to crease the square piece, then you can line up the point of the triangle on both sides, then re-crease for the other sides? If so, I can't believe I never thought of that. I'm sitting here with a freakin' little ruler with a mark on it for the center and laying it on the stupid square. OMG, DUH!

Thank you, thank you, thank you all!!!!
I would crease both the square and the triangle. Then you can match up the creases on both pieces that you have to match.