Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
square is too small, now what? >

square is too small, now what?

square is too small, now what?

Old 09-17-2016, 02:16 PM

Are you saying it's missing 1/4" all around?? I've had one side come up short before and done 1/8" shave and then sewed 1/8" seam to make up for a deficiency before. I haven't had an entire block come up small, though. Hope that helps a little.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:25 PM

I'm with willferg and tessagin. Add a strip, a border, or whatever to that block to make it the right size. Maybe you could cut off an inch from one side so you don't have a 1/4 inch strip.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:39 AM

I sent a pm to you. I have lime green fabric squares I can mail to you if that will help
😋
Old 09-18-2016, 02:03 AM

I assembled a couple dozen blocks for a memory quilt. None of the blocks were the same size. I had to square them all and add borders to make them fit. All were made by very novice non-quilters. It turned out fine. Just do it.
sandy
Old 09-18-2016, 03:23 AM

it's a 1/4" - I don't think it's a big enough discrepancy to add a "border". To me, that screams "Look at me, this block is messed up"

When sewing the 2 blocks together, using the correctly sized block as your guide, place the smaller block on top of the larger block, centering it. When you sew your seam, use the larger block to sew 1/4". The smaller block will probably have only 1/8" inch seam.

When you turn your block over, you will never know.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:52 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Judith1005. A small border would be my answer.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:34 AM

Yes, Becca is right. For a quarter inch, add the block as she suggested.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
it's a 1/4" - I don't think it's a big enough discrepancy to add a "border". To me, that screams "Look at me, this block is messed up"

When sewing the 2 blocks together, using the correctly sized block as your guide, place the smaller block on top of the larger block, centering it. When you sew your seam, use the larger block to sew 1/4". The smaller block will probably have only 1/8" inch seam.

When you turn your block over, you will never know.
I agree with becca. Fudge it a little on both sides and it will work. Also remember to put the bigger piece on the bottom as it feeds through the machine and that will help take up the "extra". By the time this is quilted, the smaller seam will be stablized and only you know what's underneath. For 1/4" inch I think you can make this work. Fabric is flexible.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:23 AM

I've already taken it apart and found another block for that space. (I hope it's the only one, but decided to go back and check them all before moving forward.) Thanks for the offers, but I found one that will work. I had forgotten that I received my squares from another swap, so had lots of choices. I had to go out of town the day they arrived, so just put them in the "I spy" container without looking at them.

Next time, I'll take some photos of my quilt as I go. I've not taken any of this one yet. However, this is a photo of the quilt I'm making. (I'm making it for my nephew's son.) I wanted to make it the first time I saw it. My first quilt was similar to it, (not I spy, though) but I used the disappearing 9 patch method. For my first quilt, I'm pleased. My cutting/1/4" seams left something to be desired, so I could not use this layout. The squares were not even enough, so I turned them so you don't notice the unevenness. Also, pressing to the dark did not work all that well. In many places, the seams conflicted.

So, this time, I made a single square and sashed it. I could control all the direction of the seams, too. I really want this to work out well. My 1/4" seams are still not perfect, but improving.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

bkay

This is the pattern I'm using:
Attached Thumbnails i-spy.-quilt.jpg  
Old 09-18-2016, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
it's a 1/4"
When sewing the 2 blocks together, using a correctly sized block as your guide, place the smaller block on top of the larger block, centering it. When you sew your seam, use the larger block to sew 1/4". The smaller block will probably have only 1/8" inch seam. When you turn your block over, you will never know.
What a wonderful idea! I will try this the next time I have this problem. But I think I would add very large basting stitches criss-cross on the square so that it holds until it is quilted. Those basting stitches can come out later.