Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
squares to triangles >

squares to triangles

squares to triangles

Old 10-31-2010, 04:33 AM

I love thangles!! haven't tried any other method. I do find that ironing the dark side up before tearing the paper off makes the paper come off easily.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by scrapykate
I love thangles!! haven't tried any other method. I do find that ironing the dark side up before tearing the paper off makes the paper come off easily.
I thought they seemed expensive for just some paper strips. I bought a plastic thing that you put from one corner to the other and mark in the slots with chalk. I like this method, works well for me.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:16 AM

grann of 6, No you put a square template on the right side of the fabric that is opened up and ironed.
Put the template with one point up and one point down on the seam and cut around all four sides.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Sharoni
grann of 6, No you put a square template on the right side of the fabric that is opened up and ironed.
Put the template with one point up and one point down on the seam and cut around all four sides.
Okay, didn't realize that. But I thought they still seemed expensive for not that many in a package. I hate paying for paper that will just get tossed in the end. I may have to try some just to see how they work.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
If you cut squares and then cut across from corner to corner, you have raw bias edges for the hypotenuses of your triangles.
If you sew all the seams before you cut the triangles, you never have a raw bias edge, only stable sewn seams.
hypotenuse..........I haven't heard that word since high school, almost 50 years ago. I kept TELLING the math teacher I'd never need to know, LOL, and I didn't.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:09 PM

I actually prefer to sew strips together, press open the seam and cut the half square triangle with a template
If I understood you, you are cutting bias strips, sewing together, pressing and cutting? I don't care for that method. I find it wastes fabric and it takes more time. I did find that method is in one of my quilt books. To each his own, though.

One of my favorite methods is to lay 2 squares right side together, say 13" for demo.
X marks the spot; Draw lines across the diagonal both ways on the lighter fabric. If you fabric slips, then place the fabric face down on a sheet of fine sandpaper to make it stay put.
Then stitch 1/4" from the lines on both sides, making a grand total of 4 stitched lines.
Now position your ruler right down the center of your fabric, NOT on your penciled lines. Cut in half, turn your mat 90 degrees, and cut in half the other way.
NOW cut down the center of your diagonal lines and enjoy your 8 HST blocks. Press and square up to 5.5 or 6 inches.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:20 PM

I use the Angler 2 to make half square triangles.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:17 AM

Thank you, I know I have seen this before but I had forgotten where.
Christina :-D
Old 11-01-2010, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Originally Posted by scrapykate
I thought they seemed expensive for just some paper strips. I bought a plastic thing that you put from one corner to the other and mark in the slots with chalk. I like this method, works well for me.
I have one of these too, got it from Fons & Porter, works!
Old 11-01-2010, 07:21 AM

I actually prefer to sew strips together, press open the seam and cut the half square triangle with a template
I just got Rhonda's templates for this purpose. She is amazing!