Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Squaring up before adding the binding strip >

Squaring up before adding the binding strip

Squaring up before adding the binding strip

Old 01-10-2015, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

I square up then sandwich and quilt. After I sew the binding on the front and then slice off the extra.

Last edited by Boston1954; 01-10-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:31 AM

Interestingly, the second thread on this topic today. Here's my perspective on squaring quilt tops. I square up each element of a block as I go along. Square up each block as it's completed. Even when chain sewing, I still press/square up at each step. It's unlikely, at that point, that your top will not be square. When measuring for borders, I measure the center length and width. Ease or stretch as needed. My quilts are certainly square enough after this (to within a 1/8" measurement and who is going to notice that!) After sandwiching, I will trim off major excess of backing/batting to within about 4" of the quilt top. I hand quilt so I'm sure my distortion is less than those that machine quilt so that may be a factor. Once the quilting is finished, I sew on my binding strip to the front lining up raw binding edge to the edge of the top. Sew with 1/4" seam. I then trim the excess backing/batting to 1/2" from biding seam. I have never cut off my binding doing this. I then proceed to hand sew my binding to the back of the quilt.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

I squared up my quilt if needed since I usually make my borders a little wider then attached the binding. I use 2.25" binding so with the 1/4" seam, it always seems to come out perfect.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:23 PM

I just eyeball it and don't square up. I am not too worried about my quilts not having perfect 90 degree angles or perfectly straight sides. So far everyone I have given them to loves them despite all of the imperfections.

adding that when I fold them (when they're all finished) they fold all straight and symmetrical.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:26 PM

I have always kept everything square, quilted, squared up the borders and then sewed on the binding. The last quilt I did, my Brother sewing machine tried to eat the edge of the quilt. I had to rip out several inches because of creep. I know that I really do need to use the single hole plate, but I have busted several needles because I have forgotten to change the face plate back after sewing. I am going to try the method of marking the quilt using a large T bar, pinning my binding on. Then I will sew and square up. I always use borders so this method might be what works for me.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:02 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. This really helps me alot.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:02 AM

I'm careful to keep things square as I go along so I've never had to square up a whole quilt. I think that and using a walking foot and not pulling the quilt while quilting is key. When I lay my ruler along the edge it is square. After I quilt I sew a narrow seam all along the edge of the border to hold the sandwich together at that point. I then trim away the excess backing and batting. I always have some sort of a border on my quilts so I use a 3/8" seam to sew my binding on with with 2.5" binding folded in half. Because I have a border I don't have to worry about cutting off points or elements of the piecing by using a 3/8" seam which happens to be the width of my walking foot. It also fills the binding up nicely with batting. I know that it is unconventional but it works for me and I like the look. To get nice mitered corners I then stop 3/8" from the end before turning.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I square up each element of a block as I go along. Square up each block as it's completed. Even when chain sewing, I still press/square up at each step. It's unlikely, at that point, that your top will not be square. My quilts are certainly square enough after this. After sandwiching, I will trim off major excess of backing/batting to within about 4" of the quilt top. Once the quilting is finished, I sew on my binding strip to the front lining up raw binding edge to the edge of the top. Sew with 1/4" seam. I then trim the excess backing/batting to 1/2" from biding seam. I have never cut off my binding doing this. I then proceed to hand sew my binding to the back of the quilt.
This is a good idea. I usually use a 3/8 seam to sew on the binding, but if you have points to save, you'll need 1/4 inch. This method works especially well if you put on a very wide binding. Have each element of the quilt top square before you sandwich and quilt. Then after it is quilted, do as NJQuilter does. Cut off the excess batt and back a little less than half the width of the remaining binding (not counting the seam allowance). You need to allow room for the thickness of the batt, too.
If you are turning the binding to the back and SITD from the front, you need a little more room for the 1/8 inch over-lap on the back.

If you do it this way, your binding will always be "full".
Old 01-11-2015, 07:28 AM

I was taught to always attach the binding first then cut the excess off, I have been doing this for many years. However, these days everyone seems to do things the way is easiest for them, that being said you have to do what you're most comfortable with.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:37 AM

Default I like this idea...

Originally Posted by elizajo View Post
I read a suggestion somewhere to use this technique on quilt tops without borders. It will preserve the pieced seams and the fabric edges while the quilt is being handled during the quilting process.
I've been seeing more and more quilts made without borders these days and I often wondered how they keep it all together while handling the quilt top. So, to do this, do you add an extra row and line of the pattern, or possibly a narrow border, just so that it can be lopped off?

~ C