Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Squaring up blocks >

Squaring up blocks

Squaring up blocks

Old 07-30-2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
after making your blocks- measure them all- find the smallest measurement- trim all the blocks to that size.
line up you ruler on the block getting lines straight with a little to trim on the right & top- then turn the block-line up ruler again with lines of the block so everything is nice and straight/even- trim the other 2 sides.
if there are diagonal lines in your block line up the diagonal on your ruler-
hope that helps a little
This helps a lot. Thank you
Old 07-30-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by mimicrystal
I need some help with squaring up blocks. Mine never seem to come out the same size. What do you guys use to square them up so they are all the same size?
Get several sizes in the square rulers. I've got a 12 1/2", 8 1/2", & 4 1/2". Whatever your measurement, lay the ruler on your block - I normally use my 45 degree mark and go corner to corner. If I'm shooting for 4 1/2" blocks (I'm 8 away from 168 neutral string blocks) (I've done lots of squaring) whatever pattern your block is, find a line that hits one of your block and see if it squares. Cut the side and top to the right. Flip and cut the side and top to your right.
I started out as an embroiderer and everytime I tried to square up I had a mess. Finally went to my LQS and learned how to square - it is very important to do it right.
Judi
Old 07-30-2011, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

you must use the 45 degree line on your ruler when trimming hst's. or at least make sure the center measurement you want is in the center of your block, like a four patch. watch that and trim one side, well two if you can. then turn the block, replace your ruler watching the degree line or measurements and trim the other two sides. you should have an even block then.
also ck your seam allowance sewing. perhaps you aren't consistent.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mimicrystal
Ok thank you all very much for the help. I need to buy a square ruler. That seems like a real helpful tool. I've gotten way better at my 1/4" seams. It is amazing though how much difference it makes if your blocks are a tiny bit off in size.
One of the things that is so worth becoming aware of!

For me -

washing fabrics before cutting - I have heard some people say that some of their unwashed fabrics shrank or changed shape when they were pressed

Doing a "practice run" with three strips of 2 x 5 inch fabric - to see if I end up with a 5 x 5 inch square - this is where I can see if my seam allowances are "right" - do I need to make them wider or narrower?

Accurate and consistent cutting

Accurate and consistent sewing of the seams

Using the same ruler for cutting and sewing machine (and settings) for sewing of all the blocks

Usually my blocks end up "close enough" - 12-1/2 x 12-5/8 for example for a 12.5 x 12.5 block
Old 07-30-2011, 07:48 AM

Thanks Jan, I have the long posting pad and cut it to be the Length of my Bernina moved my needle until it was 1 /14 of a inch. But I had to use two rubber bans one on each side. Hope this will help me. :XD:
Old 07-30-2011, 07:48 AM

Thanks Jan, I have the long posting pad and cut it to be the Length of my Bernina moved my needle until it was 1 /14 of a inch. But I had to use two rubber bans one on each side. Hope this will help me. :XD:
Old 07-30-2011, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
This is how I was taught. Having a diagonal line on you ruler is invaluable. Thanks for the link EasyPeezy!