Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
squeaking handwheel driving me insane!! >

squeaking handwheel driving me insane!!

squeaking handwheel driving me insane!!

Old 09-18-2016, 04:39 AM

I almost never touch the handwheel on my Janome 7700 so we must have a different model. What drives me nuts is my squeaky foot pedal. My dog doesn't like it, either. He used to always stay with me when I was sewing but now, when I turn the machine on, he gets up and leaves the room. He stays when my cutting and pressing but he does NOT like the sewing machine.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:50 AM

It's a mechanical so when I'm sewing, if the needle stops out of the fabric I have to put the needle down. I spoke with someone at the repair shop, she said it's either nothing, a belt rubbing or wearing out, or something needs relubing. To cover herself (which I understand) she recommended not sewing with it till she can hear it in person, so I've gotten out my backup machine so glad I didn't give it away like my first instinct...
Old 09-18-2016, 05:50 AM

The squeak comes from old oil that has gone gummy or turned into a shellac. That needs to be removed for the squeak to go away. If you keep using the machine, it can freeze up and burn out your motor. So be careful.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:57 AM

I had that happen. The service man found a crack in a little piece and replaced it.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:50 AM

Try a dry bar of soap on the squeaky area, my husband being a mechanic uses a dry bar of soap on belts for my vehicle, zippers on my clothes, the dry soap will dissapate, therefore do not rub it off, and it will stop your squeaking. Sounds silly however it does work.