Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Squeaky walking foot >

Squeaky walking foot

Squeaky walking foot

Old 05-06-2011, 06:12 AM

Thanks to all. I examined the foot, found no thread or lint (even with a magnifying glass), but could easily see the spring, the hinges and all the moving parts. I used a drop of oil on everything I could see moving when I manipulated it by hand, and no more squeaks! I let it set for about half an hour (don't know if that was necessary), then used it to sew for several minutes on several layers of scrap fabrics to remove any excess oil, then left the fabric in the machine with the walking foot down and left it overnight. This morning everything is great. No oil on the fabric and no more squeaks.

Judging from my experience, I would not hesitate to advise anyone to oil a squeaky foot with moving parts.

Thanks for all your opinions and advice. I really appreciate it.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
I have a Janome also (a Horizon) and there is no word of oiling. However, after a couple hundred hours of sewing, my husband, sitting in the other room, said, "Honey...are you sure that thing doesn't need oiling...sounds like it does." I said, "I don't know, the book doesn't say anything about oiling."

Hmm...So, he took the sewing machine oil and found places where he thought it could use it. And yes, it helped how ti sounded.
I'm so glad that worked. I'll keep that in mind should I ever have the same thing happen. My very mechanically inclined son would surely find those mysterious places, too. I would just hope he wouldn't take the whole machine apart. He would be in his glory!

My mom was a great one for constantly oiling her machine and always impressed on me how important it was, and I always did on my previoius machines, but then I bought this Janome and was shocked at this "no oiling" business, and I just don't understand it. Anyway, after oiling my walking foot, it is OK now.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by DeneK
My walking foot squeaks too. I thought it might be the arm that rubs against the shaft that connects to the machine. Mine has always squeaks from the first time I used it. I will watch this thread to see if oiling the walking foot helps.
I would go ahead and do it. I just turned it upside down and moved the parts that move the fabric through (don't know what it's called) and I could see the spring and all the hinges move and that's where I put a couple drops of oil. It worked for me. Just do as I and others have suggested and sew on scrap fabrics for a while to make sure excess oil doesn't get on thatever project you're working on. Good luck.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:34 AM

I just had a thought. Now that the foot is oiled, perhaps lint will be attracted to it and gum up the works. I surely don't want that, so I think a good idea would be to check it periodically and, if necessary, give it a good brushing with the little brush that came in my accessories box. You might want to consider this, too, if you oiled your walking foot. What do you think?
Old 05-06-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts
Thanks to all. I examined the foot, found no thread or lint (even with a magnifying glass), but could easily see the spring, the hinges and all the moving parts. I used a drop of oil on everything I could see moving when I manipulated it by hand, and no more squeaks! I let it set for about half an hour (don't know if that was necessary), then used it to sew for several minutes on several layers of scrap fabrics to remove any excess oil, then left the fabric in the machine with the walking foot down and left it overnight. This morning everything is great. No oil on the fabric and no more squeaks.

Judging from my experience, I would not hesitate to advise anyone to oil a squeaky foot with moving parts.

Thanks for all your opinions and advice. I really appreciate it.
Thanks for sharing --mine squeeks--I'm going to oil it!!!