Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stained Glass Quilts <3 >

Stained Glass Quilts <3

Stained Glass Quilts <3

Old 08-12-2015, 08:26 AM

Talking Stained Glass Quilts <3

Hello everyone

First of all, thank you for providing such a nice place to come and read/talk/post. As a newer quilter, and of the couple of posts I've posted here, I appreciate the support, advice and comments Invaluable!

So along with the basic paper piecing kit I'd like to try this week, and the 9-patch block I really want to do (I have the perfect batik for it LOL) and the table topper I need to finish, I want to start trying my hand at a stained glass block. I just adore the look of stained glass, and a while back I came across a picture of a stained glass dragon that I thought "Hey, one day I could make that into a quilt top" and by one day, I mean years from now

I have found a ton of tutorials and videos, I've ordered fusible black bias, and will probably find a basic pattern and start this weekend.

For those of you who have done or are doing a stained glass looking quilt, I would love to see pics, hear advice, listen to your experiences, and read your tips, tricks and frustrations.

Also, have any of you used a regular stained glass (not a quilt) pattern? I heard of some very creative souls using them as templates, or should I go from what I can find for quilting?

Thanks in advance, and have a lovely day!
Old 08-12-2015, 08:56 AM

You need to follow a quilting pattern for your first try, or find a class, or a book with good instructions. Sorry never took photoes of all my quilts. This is only one I can find.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 08-12-2015, 09:03 AM

You need to follow a quilting pattern for your first try, or find a class, or a book with good instructions. Sorry never took photoes of all my quilts. These are all I can find.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 08-12-2015, 11:35 AM

This was one of the first quilts that I ever made. It was made up of blocks from Foundation Pieced Stained Glass Quilts by Liz Schwartz and Stephen Seifert. It was really quite easy and I had a great time making it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]527604[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0010-2-.jpg  
Old 08-12-2015, 11:57 AM

Dottymo, how lovely! What gorgeous work, and I especially love the POV of looking out the window. Gorgeous!

Sailorwoman...wow wow wow!!! Stunning, I will have to look into finding that pattern...I love the different colorful blocks, how stunning.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

Stained glass quilts are so fun! I don't think I have pics here on my tablet but I have many already in the pictures category of this board. I have used many regular stained glass patterns, coloring book pages are great for stained glass. I see no reason to feel a class is needed, it is a very ( forgiving) technique. You trace your shapes on paper back fusible ( heat n bond lite, steam a seam 2, wonderunder, what ever lightweight, sewable product you use) you don't have to worry about overlapping pieces, they just need to fit next to each other. Then ( a small clover iron is easiest- a big iron is heavy, difficult to use for the bias tape) you start ( leading) your picture. Pressing the bias tape covering all the piece edges, it easily goes around the curves. After it is all fused in place stitch it down with black thread, a zigzag works nicely. Set the width to reach across the bias tape.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

I do not know how to link/move a picture from one place here to a new post, but if you look up ( in pictures) mine- topic called -- favorite nephew expecting first baby-- you will see the baby animals stained glass he made from coloring book pages- he had never done any kind of quilting, applique, anything...
Old 08-12-2015, 02:00 PM

ckcowl, thank you! I'm off to stalk the pictures board to peek

Love your sig line, I feel the same way about my stash too lol
Old 08-13-2015, 10:26 AM

Here's 2 that I have done. The designer is Brenda Henning - Bear Paw Productions. Here is the link to her site

https://www.bearpawproductions.com/store.php?cat=3

[ATTACH=CONFIG]527672[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]527673[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 1-cam00505.jpg   iris-wallhanging.jpg  
Old 08-14-2015, 08:45 AM

Your quilt is beautiful! I've got the book by Liz and Stephen but haven't made any of the blocks or quilts. BTW, whatever happened to them? I love their work, but haven't seen anything by them in several years. Anyone know? Or am I just out of the loop?