Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
stamped marking on vintage quilt >

stamped marking on vintage quilt

stamped marking on vintage quilt

Old 10-22-2015, 05:51 AM

The quilt is lovely. I would leave it as is, and it will be a conversation piece. I don't remember when poly/cotton blends came out, but one block is stamped poly/cotton. Of course, I have heard that a quilt is thought of as an antique when only 25 years old, so I would just finish it and love it to death.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:18 AM

It's a wonderful reminder of a family member. Great embroidery. I would leave the mark alone- the family won't notice it.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
The old blue stamping marks on my dear beloved Aunt's cross stitched quilt has never washed out - been washed dozens of times. I have never bleached it though - so don't know how that would work. She actually did a wonderful job on it but the X's behind the embroidery thread is still visible - yellow thread.
Yep, the dog got the quilt with the blue markings that would not come out! I was very disappointed! Now I wish I had just left it alone.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:16 PM

I would leave it the way it is-quilters don't make mistakes (leaving the info on) they make design decisions.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:19 PM

I just finished making 3 quilts. Blocks were all made before 1981 and found only 16 years ago. I carefully washed and nothing changed. Had to square blocks the best I could then design quilt & washed ready to use. Owner was thrilled and all went better than expected. My recommendation is to do the best you can and they will be appreciated for what they are. Got the photo's from camera but can't post for an unknown reason.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:41 PM

Somewhere in time, I read/heard (?) never to touch an iron to the blue markings...a hot iron will make them permanent. Bad for me 'cause I press everything before I load it in the machine. I would not press blocks with those marks however, since I heard that.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:46 AM

Beautiful family heirloom quilt. I think the blue will wash out.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:13 AM

I've been embroidering since I was 10 and that's a long time. All the embroidery patterns I have that were made before 1990 were permanent. And I have tried everything on one particular quilt to remove the marks. Newer pre-stamped embroidery pieces I bought were water soluble IF you do not iron. Once ironed they too are permanent.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I'm probably going to be in the minority, but I think the print sort of adds a bit of whimsical charm. If it comes out in the final washing, then great, but if it doesn't its reflective of grandma's work.
I agree with you
Old 10-24-2015, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

I think I would leave it as Grandma as done it and just finish it so the quilt is finished. Like several have said, if the blue washes out fine and if not fine also.