Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stapler vs basting "gun" or safety pins >

Stapler vs basting "gun" or safety pins

Stapler vs basting "gun" or safety pins

Old 05-03-2010, 08:58 AM

spray or maybe the tacking gun you have has the long tacks. Try the Microtek - the needle is smaller and tacks are shorter. Staple??!! No way. Like someone said - imagine removing those!
Old 05-03-2010, 09:07 AM

No way would I staple, nor would I pin or tack. Spray basting is the ONLY way for me. No puckers, no pin pricks, no broken back. Working by myself I can layer a king quilt in less than a hour.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:09 AM

I need more info on the spray basting... Would have to baste the backing to the batting, and then the top to the batting? Sound like something I'd definitely be interested in learning.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by kaykid815
I need more info on the spray basting... Would have to baste the backing to the batting, and then the top to the batting? Sound like something I'd definitely be interested in learning.
Yes, super easy! Nothing to learn! Just like you said - spray backing, put batting on, smooth out, spray top of batting, put top on, smooth out - Ta Dah! I did one for the first time yesterday. No fuss no muss and up to 2 months to rearrange it? Oh yeah! Very easy to sew!
Old 05-03-2010, 09:31 AM

I usually start by putting a big flannel sheet on my king bed, putting the batting down and arranging the backing to my liking. Then I fold half the backing over and spray either the batting or the back of the backing and smooth the backing back down. Lift the other half and repeat. Then I flip the whole thing over and arrange the quilt top on the batting and repeat the whole process. I find it much easier to layer-fold back-spray-smooth than to spray first then try to arrange backing or top to batting. The flannel sheet (thanks Mom) is WONDERFUL for holding my work in place without taping and it protects the bedding and furniture from the spray. Basting also lasts much longer than 2 months. Try it and you'll never go back!
Old 05-03-2010, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Delilah
I usually start by putting a big flannel sheet on my king bed, putting the batting down and arranging the backing to my liking. Then I fold half the backing over and spray either the batting or the back of the backing and smooth the backing back down. Lift the other half and repeat. Then I flip the whole thing over and arrange the quilt top on the batting and repeat the whole process. I find it much easier to layer-fold back-spray-smooth than to spray first then try to arrange backing or top to batting. The flannel sheet (thanks Mom) is WONDERFUL for holding my work in place without taping and it protects the bedding and furniture from the spray. Basting also lasts much longer than 2 months. Try it and you'll never go back!
Sounds even better!
Old 05-03-2010, 09:47 AM

You don't have to pin at all? It stays put while you are sewing? I machine quilt and have to roll up the sides and move it all around.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:51 AM

I machine quilt also. Will the spray basting hold when you have to move the quilt so much?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:41 AM

It stays unbelieveably well. I usually just scrunch the quilt up under the needle and SITD and/or FM away. Attaching an example of a really big quilt done that way. Also attaching a smaller one, just because I like the design I did in the solid square.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-38653.jpe   attachment-38654.jpe  
Old 05-03-2010, 11:01 AM

I am going to have to get some of that stuff! A new trick. Yippee.. Thanks for the info.