Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Star of Virginia - Quilters Cache directions issue >

Star of Virginia - Quilters Cache directions issue

Star of Virginia - Quilters Cache directions issue

Old 01-18-2020, 12:57 PM

Question Star of Virginia - Quilters Cache directions issue

Hoping someone can help me. I haven't quilted in a few years and feel a bit rusty. However, I am very confused about the directions on this pattern even though it seems very straight forward. I cut out all the pieces according to the directions. I have to put two 3-1/2 inch squares on a 6-1/2 inch rectangle - match up corners, sew on diagonal line and cut away. However, there is extra fabric and am not sure how to align it. Thinking about it- two 3.5 inch squares is 7 inches and the rectangle is only 6.5. I am frustrated and confused. Can anyone help me out here or am I going crazy. Maybe direct me to a set of directions for this block that makes sense? I have cut all the fabric and now think it was all for nothing. Help

Thanks
Karen
Old 01-18-2020, 01:03 PM

Welcome back! When you sew 2 3.5 inch squares together the resulting unit will measure 6.5 inches because the seam allowance results in the loss of 1/2 inch. The part you cut away are Flying Geese units or the legs for the the star, there are several other ways to make flying geese units if your not comfortable with that method. But yes, the method outlined in the instructions you will cut away the excess fabric leaving 1/4 in seam allowance after sewing corner to corner.

Last edited by tallchick; 01-18-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:08 PM

Lay one 3 1/2" square on the rectangle and sew on the diagonal. Trim the excess away and press the triangle to the outside corner. Lay the remaining 3 1/2" square right sides together on the opposite end of the rectangle. The second square will overlap the first seam and that is correct. Sew on the diagonal. Trim the excess fabric to 1/4" and press.
That is just one way to make Flying Geese.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
Welcome back! When you sew 2 3.5 inch squares together the resulting unit will measure 6.5 inches because the seam allowance results in the loss of 1/2 inch. The part you cut away are Flying Geese units or the legs for the the star, there are several other ways to make flying geese units if your not comfortable with that method. But yes, the method outlined in the instructions you will cut away the excess fabric leaving 1/4 in seam allowance after sewing corner to corner.
Originally Posted by QuiltBaer View Post
Lay one 3 1/2" square on the rectangle and sew on the diagonal. Trim the excess away and press the triangle to the outside corner. Lay the remaining 3 1/2" square right sides together on the opposite end of the rectangle. The second square will overlap the first seam and that is correct. Sew on the diagonal. Trim the excess fabric to 1/4" and press.
That is just one way to make Flying Geese.
Hope this helps.

OMG! Yes, flying geese!!! Your input was a tremendous help!! Thanks so very much. Wow - now it makes sense. Thanks again for your help!!! Back to the sewing room!
​​​​​​​Karen
Old 01-19-2020, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

If you do decide to make your flying geese units as instructed don't throw away those corner triangle you cut away. Sew them together along the diagonal edge and you get a bonus HST unit.