Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
??? Starburst Qlt Pattern frm Keepsake Qltg - Dunster?  Anyone Else? >

??? Starburst Qlt Pattern frm Keepsake Qltg - Dunster? Anyone Else?

??? Starburst Qlt Pattern frm Keepsake Qltg - Dunster? Anyone Else?

Old 04-16-2013, 12:27 PM

Default ??? Starburst Qlt Pattern frm Keepsake Qltg - Dunster? Anyone Else?

I have been asked to make this quilt top by someone who bought the kit several years ago from Keepsake Quilting and found it daunting so put it away...

I'm no so sure I don't find it daunting too. But hoping those who have made this will help me out.
The templates look difficult. Is there any reason I couldn't cut strips and then use a ruler to cut the 45 degree ends? And/or any other tips.

Would love it if someone who has made this would be available via email to answer questions if I get myself into trouble.

I plan to make some of the quilt out of my less valuable stash before even attempting to cut any of her fabric.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:51 PM

I haven't done it, but would love to see pictures.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

I had to look it up. It's a beautiful pattern, but I've never done templates so I can't tell you whether they're difficult or not. I imagine you could use the ruler instead, but the cutting and assembly instructions might be different than using their templates. My pattern is similar, but doesn't use templates, and the center is 6-pointed rather than 8-pointed.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Marilynsue View Post
I haven't done it, but would love to see pictures.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:29 AM

I was hoping it was exactly the same... I guess I will work with the templates. I started making them today from plastic. But there must be almost 20 different template pieces. The number of different pieces was my first hint this wasn't going to be easy. The second was when the instructions call for a generous scant 1/4" seam. I can't even consistently find the scant 1/4 -- let alone a generous one. LOL! And the instructions state that a full 1/4" won't work.

Wish me luck!

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I had to look it up. It's a beautiful pattern, but I've never done templates so I can't tell you whether they're difficult or not. I imagine you could use the ruler instead, but the cutting and assembly instructions might be different than using their templates. My pattern is similar, but doesn't use templates, and the center is 6-pointed rather than 8-pointed.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:45 AM

I have the pattern, but haven't tackled it because of the templates. I'll be doing Dunster's pattern first which I have also. However, we have a new QB member, 27thPlanet, that is doing this as her FIRST (!!!) quilt. Here is a link to her latest post: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t215726.html. Perhaps the two of you could commiserate together! Good luck!
Old 04-18-2013, 06:34 AM

If I were doing it I would cut the WOF strips then use the templates for length of the strips. Don't think of any reason that would not work.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
If I were doing it I would cut the WOF strips then use the templates for length of the strips. Don't think of any reason that would not work.
that's what I was thinking. You can't rotary cut around templates.