Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starch the Backing >

Starch the Backing

Starch the Backing

Old 04-26-2011, 09:07 PM

how do you keep the starch from building up on your iron?
Old 04-27-2011, 06:27 AM

Starching before you sandwich was a quilt saver for me...not to master machine quilting.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by gramma8
how do you keep the starch from building up on your iron?
If you let the starch saturate the fabric by letting it sit for a bit . I use the concentrate diluted and completely saturate the fabric , I then let it dry on a rack over night, then iron. I do keep a spray bottle with the solution at the ironing board for minor or small pieces , the trick is to let it soak in. If you iron too quickly , the starch is just laying on the surface and thats when it gets on your iron. Same thing for avoiding the white flakes , if you let the starch soak in .. no flakes.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ngeorgia
I have been reading the starch topics. If you soak a lot of pieces at once and then put them in the dryer do they have to be ironed when hot or can you just fold them and iron as needed? I had also read about putting them in the refrig and iron within a week or put them in the freezer to keep from mildew. So I was thinking what if they are all dry and when I get in an ironing mood they are ready.
Does the starch mess up the dryer like spraying does to the floor?
You can store starched fabric unironed. However, if you live in a damp climate it may not be a good idea because some types of bugs are attracted to starch. If bugs are not a problem, then storing starched fabric will not be a problem either. Also, if storage is only for a month or two bugs are much less likely to be a problem; it's when you get into years of storage that they have the chance to find the fabric.

Starch has not had any bad effect on my dryer, and I use a very heavy starch solution.

For spray basting on the floor, I always recommend putting a large sheet down first to cash any overspray. It also helps to spray from the outside edges towards the center.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:52 AM

I love the Mary Ellen's, too! The only difference I have noticed is that you don't get the white flakies. Use it on hubs dress slacks.

I would assume that it would help on the larger quilts as well! :)