Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starch question >

Starch question

Starch question

Old 03-03-2011, 07:00 AM

I like the idea of the recipe for a final press, but if you use the "Febreeze liquid" on fabric (or when pre-washing, if you use a fabric softener sheet) if you rotary cut the fabric after applying either of those two items, you will dull your rotary blades significantly.
Just a note, but I love the recipe for finishing. Thanks.
Johanna in WI

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
I'm a cheapo..I make my own startch..

1 cup Sta-flo concentrated starch ( get it walmart)
1 cup of Febreze (love the lavender scent- also avail at Wally world)
1 cup distilled or baby water

Mix (I use a clean spaghetti jar, pour every thing in, tighten lid and shake! Dd loves to do this, have at, knock you socks off DD!) Pour in a fine spray bottle ( I suggest you do this and not a 5yr old DD, It was not pretty! I used an empty Best Press Bottle) TaDa!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:59 PM

Liquid starch works very well when mixed properly.

However, if you aren't going to be finishing the project soon I was told to put bay leaves in with my project to keep bugs out ... as they are attracted to the starch.

I use Best Press now.

ali
Old 03-03-2011, 03:14 PM

I use all the different starches and have never had any problems. I mostly use StaFlo and mix my own. But I also use the spray starches in cans and the bottles. Whatever is cheap and my husband brings home.
I can't use Febreeze with my allergies.
I spray my fabric with starch (use which ever one I have handy that is cheap). Then I put the fabric in a plastic bag and let it sit for about an hour. Then I just get each piece out and press. This was the way my mother taught me. If you can't press it within the hour, put it in the frig. I have done this for over 45 years.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:15 PM

However, if you aren't going to be finishing the project soon I was told to put bay leaves in with my project to keep bugs out ... as they are attracted to the starch.

I use Best Press now.

ali[/quote]

Bay leaves? Never heard of it, but willing to give it a try. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by AliKat
Liquid starch works very well when mixed properly.

I use Best Press now.

ali
OH! very good to know! Thank you!
Old 03-03-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Best Press is more of a Sizing rather than a starch. Starch I find gets stiffer depending on how much and what kind is used.
Ditto :)
Old 03-03-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
I bought the Niagara in the non aerosol. When it was half empty, I filled it with distilled water. It was perfect. When I went to buy a new one, neither store had it, so I bought an aerosol. Yick. White flakes all over. I know they'll brush off, but it's not what I wanted. I bought sizing, too, so I'll try that next.
That's what I was using too and loved it! The price was great! I can't find it any more either......I use to get it in Target. If you run across it could you let me know the store's name....hopefully it'll be a chain store
Old 03-03-2011, 03:55 PM

Niagara has a new non-aerosol trigger bottle spray starch that is guaranteed not to flake. I have been using it for about a month and I LOVE it!!! I also found a new aerosol that will not flake, but haven't tried that one yet. I got them both at WalMart