Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Starch question

I usually use Best Press, but funds are kind of tight this week and I saw Aerosol can of spray starch for considerable cheaper, so i bought it, i haven't used it yet but my question is:

what is really a difference between starches when quilting?

TIA

Blog Entries
    Best Press is more of a Sizing rather than a starch. Starch I find gets stiffer depending on how much and what kind is used.

You can buy sizing in a spray can at the grocery store or Wal Mart. It is much cheaper than Best Press. I think mine is Niagra brand.

I've always been happy using Faultless. I buy the heavy starch.

What is Sizing???

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by taiboo
    What is Sizing???
    I wasn't sure how to answer this, so I googled and this is what I found. I am sure there are other definitons, but this may help.
    Faultless Brand says: Sizing makes ironing easier! It restores original body to fabrics without leaving a stiff feeling. It's perfect for all washables, including cottons, knits, synthetics, and blends. Great for touching up wrinkle free fabrics.

Blog Entries
    I bought the Niagara in the non aerosol. When it was half empty, I filled it with distilled water. It was perfect. When I went to buy a new one, neither store had it, so I bought an aerosol. Yick. White flakes all over. I know they'll brush off, but it's not what I wanted. I bought sizing, too, so I'll try that next.

I buy liquid starch in a big blue bottle. (Can't recall the name) and mix it myself with water. I like about 4 parts water to one part starch, but you can choose your own strength. I also add about 1 drops of lavender oil to it and shake well before using. It's so much cheaper, and it smells nice too.

Blog Entries
    I love the Niagra brand and I get mine at Wal Mart too. Its Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!
    Johanna in WI

Quote Originally Posted by quiltlady37
    You can buy sizing in a spray can at the grocery store or Wal Mart. It is much cheaper than Best Press. I think mine is Niagra brand.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I'm a cheapo..I make my own startch..

1 cup Sta-flo concentrated starch ( get it walmart)
    1 cup of Febreze (love the lavender scent- also avail at Wally world)
    1 cup distilled or baby water

Mix (I use a clean spaghetti jar, pour every thing in, tighten lid and shake! Dd loves to do this, have at, knock you socks off DD!) Pour in a fine spray bottle ( I suggest you do this and not a 5yr old DD, It was not pretty! I used an empty Best Press Bottle) TaDa!

Blog Entries
    I like the idea of the recipe for a final press, but if you use the "Febreeze liquid" on fabric (or when pre-washing, if you use a fabric softener sheet) if you rotary cut the fabric after applying either of those two items, you will dull your rotary blades significantly.
    Just a note, but I love the recipe for finishing. Thanks.
    Johanna in WI

Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    I'm a cheapo..I make my own startch..

1 cup Sta-flo concentrated starch ( get it walmart)
    1 cup of Febreze (love the lavender scent- also avail at Wally world)
    1 cup distilled or baby water

Mix (I use a clean spaghetti jar, pour every thing in, tighten lid and shake! Dd loves to do this, have at, knock you socks off DD!) Pour in a fine spray bottle ( I suggest you do this and not a 5yr old DD, It was not pretty! I used an empty Best Press Bottle) TaDa!

Liquid starch works very well when mixed properly.

However, if you aren't going to be finishing the project soon I was told to put bay leaves in with my project to keep bugs out ... as they are attracted to the starch.

I use Best Press now.

ali

I use all the different starches and have never had any problems. I mostly use StaFlo and mix my own. But I also use the spray starches in cans and the bottles. Whatever is cheap and my husband brings home.
    I can't use Febreeze with my allergies.
    I spray my fabric with starch (use which ever one I have handy that is cheap). Then I put the fabric in a plastic bag and let it sit for about an hour. Then I just get each piece out and press. This was the way my mother taught me. If you can't press it within the hour, put it in the frig. I have done this for over 45 years.

However, if you aren't going to be finishing the project soon I was told to put bay leaves in with my project to keep bugs out ... as they are attracted to the starch.

I use Best Press now.

ali[/quote]

Bay leaves? Never heard of it, but willing to give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by AliKat
    Liquid starch works very well when mixed properly.

I use Best Press now.

ali
    OH! very good to know! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Best Press is more of a Sizing rather than a starch. Starch I find gets stiffer depending on how much and what kind is used.
    Ditto :)

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    I bought the Niagara in the non aerosol. When it was half empty, I filled it with distilled water. It was perfect. When I went to buy a new one, neither store had it, so I bought an aerosol. Yick. White flakes all over. I know they'll brush off, but it's not what I wanted. I bought sizing, too, so I'll try that next.
    That's what I was using too and loved it! The price was great! I can't find it any more either......I use to get it in Target. If you run across it could you let me know the store's name....hopefully it'll be a chain store

Blog Entries
    Niagara has a new non-aerosol trigger bottle spray starch that is guaranteed not to flake. I have been using it for about a month and I LOVE it!!! I also found a new aerosol that will not flake, but haven't tried that one yet. I got them both at WalMart