Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starch Question >

Starch Question

Starch Question

Old 06-18-2018, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

I use Terial spray. I use it full strength for when I want paper stiff. I dilute it for general use. It keeps bias edges from stretching if used before cutting the fabric.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
I much prefer the Sta Flo starch, it's cheaper and goes a lot farther than a can of starch. The ratio I use is 50/50. The "proper" way to use starch is to starch at least 2 hours ahead of the time, throw it in a plastic bag, and let it sit, take it out, either line dry or throw in the dryer for a few minutes, then iron, have never had a problem with the iron getting all gunky, then, I do spray mist with water since I don't use the steam on my iron. If you just spray the starch, let it sit a minute, then iron, your iron will "gunk" up and you'll get flaking all over, that's because you're ironing the starch and not the fabric. You can even starch it and leave it in the bag for over a week, just be sure to put the bag in the refrigerator.
This is how I starch as well for preparing fabric to cut.

If I am painting it on edges for applique and what I'm assuming is being asked for EPP then I use it full strength in a little cup and use a paint brush. Then I roll the edges around the template and touch it with the tip of the hot iron.