Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilting cruises

Blog Entries

Quilting cruises

My mom and I were looking at quilting cruises today and now Im wondering if anyone here has gone on one?
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Blog Entries
    No, but I would love to go.

Gay
    Blog Entries
    Haven't yet but a cousin did one from Au to New Zealand this year and loved it. I would love to do one with Bonnie Hunter - she goes to such interesting places.

I did one in March. It was fabulous! Do you have specific questions?

I have been to the Caribbean and was lots of fun. Before you sign up make sure they are doing the type of piecing that you like. Such as, if you do not like to applique then make sure they are doing actual piecing or if you like to machine piece, then make sure they are not doing hand piecing.

Have a good time. Karen

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Becky Andersen View Post
    I did one in March. It was fabulous! Do you have specific questions?
    What company did you go with? Would you use them again? How was the mix of quilting vs non quilting activities? Did you get to go on excursions to quilt shops?
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

I think that is wonderful you and your mother will go together. What a great time you will have together.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I would love to go on a quilting cruise. That is on my bucket list. Someday!! I've read positive comments about Stitchin heaven and Quilt retreat at sea. Have a great time!!
    Denise

You do not simply stumble upon the happy life.....you make it!

My cruise was planned by Travel Adventures by Michelle. It was with Royal Caribbean on Allure of the Seas. The cruise we (my sister and I) took, was for machine embroidery quilting. Angie from Lunch Box quilts was our teacher and she was awesome. The cruise was 7 days, four were quilting (sea days) and three were port days. We did excursions at all the ports. There did not seem to be many quilt shops but maybe we didn't know where to look. My class provided so much in fabrics, threads and supplies that I barely had room on the plane. I thought I was going to have to ship stuff home as it was. The machines were provided for us too. Top of the line Janome embroidery machines with the option to buy at really good price with no tax as we were at sea in International waters. There are so many activities on the ship that there was never a dull moment. We were so well cared for by staff and the food and service were beyond compare. There were 40 ladies in our quilt group and we dined together at each meal as we were assigned a dining room. We were in a great group and everyone was so nice. It was nice to meet people from all over. My cruise was my first and it certainly will not be the last. I met two wonderful women from Alaska and they live in a port city. If you did an Alaskan cruise, they told me they have nice quilt shops there.

I never have but it sounds like such a fun thing to do with your Mom.

quilting cruise

I went on a quilting cruise with a friend. to the Caribbean on Harmony of the Sea from Royal Caribbean. the ship and staff were wonderful. the quilting teachers were wonderful would do another quilting cruise but not with the travel company(Stitchn heaven) we went with. they were not friendly to new people that had not traveled with them before did not provide all info before sailing that we needed and found out afterwards that they are more expensive and include less than other travel companies. It was our first quilting cruise and we picked it due to Carol Doak being a teacher and her last cruise before retiring..

My bestie and I did a girls' trip with World of Quilts Travel and it was great! Deb, the woman who runs WOQ, was very easy to work with and there was not a single hitch. Our cruise was all male teachers ("Guys and Glaciers"), Rob Appell, John Flynn, Joe Cunningham, and Luke Haynes, and I would do it again anytime.

I have gone on two quilting cruises w/Stitching Heaven, out of Mineola, TX. They were very well planned and wonderful experiences. Those folks know what they are doing. I was surprised to see someone else stating that they didn't receive all of the information they needed - as I feel we were informed about everything ahead of time. I would not hesitate in booking another cruise through them and as a matter of fact am thinking of sailing to Alaska with them in the summer of 2019. I have never done any other cruises and so I cannot comment on the prices - no idea if you can find cheaper deals or not. I do know that people on my last cruise were complaining about other cruises they had done with someone other than Stitching Heaven and they were saying Stitching Heaven was the best. I personally LOVED the cruises through them. There were 3 teachers - teaching 3 different quilts. Some people did all three and some people opted to only do one or two. You have classes on days when the ship is out to sea and on "port" days there are no classes; however you can go and sew 24/7 if you so desire. This is my 2 cents' worth - hope it helps.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosasta0 View Post
    I have gone on two quilting cruises w/Stitching Heaven, out of Mineola, TX. They were very well planned and wonderful experiences. Those folks know what they are doing. I was surprised to see someone else stating that they didn't receive all of the information they needed - as I feel we were informed about everything ahead of time. I would not hesitate in booking another cruise through them and as a matter of fact am thinking of sailing to Alaska with them in the summer of 2019. I have never done any other cruises and so I cannot comment on the prices - no idea if you can find cheaper deals or not. I do know that people on my last cruise were complaining about other cruises they had done with someone other than Stitching Heaven and they were saying Stitching Heaven was the best. I personally LOVED the cruises through them. There were 3 teachers - teaching 3 different quilts. Some people did all three and some people opted to only do one or two. You have classes on days when the ship is out to sea and on "port" days there are no classes; however you can go and sew 24/7 if you so desire. This is my 2 cents' worth - hope it helps.
    summer of 2019 is when we are hoping to go. I’ve been looking at the cruise to Alaska through stitching heaven, who know, maybe we’ll be cruisemates! Our biggest concern with them at this point is price. Once all the extra charges are added in they are the most expensive we’ve found. (So far )
    ~Mahatma Ghandi