Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quilting Cruises

Quilting Cruises

I'm interested in taking a quilting cruise in the spring. Any thoughts? Recommendations? Horror stories?
    SVAL

I travel a lot and have been on several cruises, but never a quilting cruise. To me, traveling is seeing and experiencing as much of the foreign country culture and sights as possible, and that wears me out. I can't imagine also having the time or energy to quilt too. Although I love both, I just can't see mixing the two and would be difficult for me to try to balance between them---I would constantly worry about what I was missing out on between them! But i am sure a quilting cruise could be lots of fun for meeting new people, etc. If you aren't the travel/photography addict that I am.
    I just want to spend the rest of my life laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
    I travel a lot and have been on several cruises, but never a quilting cruise. To me, traveling is seeing and experiencing as much of the foreign country culture and sights as possible, and that wears me out. I can't imagine also having the time or energy to quilt too. Although I love both, I just can't see mixing the two and would be difficult for me to try to balance between them---I would constantly worry about what I was missing out on between them! But i am sure a quilting cruise could be lots of fun for meeting new people, etc. If you aren't the travel/photography addict that I am.
    I can see how that would be an issue if going to someplace exotic and wonderful. But to the Caribbean not so much. The quilting days are at sea days. Not much to do those days usually anyways. Plus I'm looking for a trip to take alone. I've never done that. And I thought going on a quilting cruise I'd be able to meet people. It's a very scary idea and as I"m typing this I can feel myself backing out on the idea.
    I would hope the other quilters would be people to eat meals with and perhaps go on shore excursions with.
    SVAL

I guess it would depend on who was teaching the classes??
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by sval View Post
    I can see how that would be an issue if going to someplace exotic and wonderful. But to the Caribbean not so much. The quilting days are at sea days. Not much to do those days usually anyways. Plus I'm looking for a trip to take alone. I've never done that. And I thought going on a quilting cruise I'd be able to meet people. It's a very scary idea and as I"m typing this I can feel myself backing out on the idea.
    I would hope the other quilters would be people to eat meals with and perhaps go on shore excursions with.
    SVAL
    Go for it! You could check into Bonnie Hunter's quiltville blogspot as she did a cruise recently and has another planned. If her destination doesn't please you, check into the company that she has organize hers as they also do cruises for other quilters.

Many of my guild members go on quilt cruises. The only complaint they have is the projects taught are very simple and not that interesting. They like the company of other quilters so that is why they go.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I have been wanting to go on one too! I have been looking alot at the ones offered by stitchin Heaven travel. I like that the sewing/class time is while at sea so you dont miss out on any port time. They provide the machines to use too. The projects look interesting to me and I find that if the project that is being taught would allow me to focus on techinuqe refinement and get feed back. In my mind ill alwats need feed back and practicing even the most basic concepts

I went on one a few years ago. It was fun and we did Electric Quilt and photography classes. So we brought laptops instead of sewing machines. I went alone and the organizer paired me with another single woman to share a cabin. It was fun and I would like to go again sometime. I went on shore excursions at each port - some by myself and some with people from class. The classes were held on days at sea.

SVAL
    Don't be afraid to travel by yourself! The past few years my husband hasn't had the good health to do much international travel, so I go by myself a lot. I have been to romania, Croatia, Cuba, Ireland, India and Bhutan without him, and have trips planned to Scotland, iceland, Mongolia and Burma. I do travel on small group trips (less than 20 people) and there are usually more solo travelers than couples! I like having a private room because at the end of the day I like my alone quiet time. You meet lots of interesting people and will have a great time. My last few cruises have been on small boat river cruises that have port excursions every day, so I forgot about the large ship "at sea" days. Go for it, you will have a great time.
    I just want to spend the rest of my life laughing.

Super Member sewingitalltogether's Avatar
    I was dizzy the first 3 days of a 6 day cruise. Can't imagine trying to look down and concentrate on sewing. Although I'd go on the Bali batik cruise in a heartbeat. I think it would be better to take classes on land. Go to one of the big shows, Paducah or Houston and take a class from someone who you love their patterns. I felt sick and lost weight . Certainly didn't get to enjoy any of the good food in front of me.

Gay
    Blog Entries
    I'd love to go with Bonnie Hunter in 2016. They're going to the Mediterranean and one to Alaska. Not sure if the timing suits you though.

http://www.quiltville.com/

I have been on a ship while a group was taking a quilting cruise. As a quilter, I was embarrassed by the behavior of the quilters... Loud, took over some areas of the ship and were overall quite rude to the other passengers aboard. After this experience I decided I would not join a quilting cruise and would also avoid any cruise that was hosting one.

Judy in Phx, AZ

I've been on 2.. One was great fun and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The second was much as judy363905 recounts and at the end of the second day I put away my machine and packed all my supplies and enjoyed the cruise as a non-quilter and I was embarrassed by the other attendees and their behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Gay View Post
    I'd love to go with Bonnie Hunter in 2016. They're going to the Mediterranean and one to Alaska. Not sure if the timing suits you though.

http://www.quiltville.com/
    I am looking for something in the spring. That is when my husband is planning a biking trip with his brother to Holland. I think it would be good to be going somewhere while he is away.

[QUOTE=Jeanne S;7399234]Don't be afraid to travel by yourself! The past few years my husband hasn't had the good health to do much international travel, so I go by myself a lot. I have been to romania, Croatia, Cuba, Ireland, India and Bhutan without him, and have trips planned to Scotland, iceland, Mongolia and Burma. I do travel on small group trips (less than 20 people) and there are usually more solo travelers than couples! I like having a private room because at the end of the day I like my alone quiet time. You meet lots of interesting people and will have a great time. My last few cruises have been on small boat river cruises that have port excursions every day, so I forgot about the large ship "at sea" days. Go for it, you will have a great time.[/QUOTE

That's great to have been so many places. I'm afraid I would feel terrible leaving my husband at home and going off on trips.
    I too need a room to myself. That can be a problem with cruises and quilt retreats. Double occupancy. That's something I'd pay extra for. I need my space and also am a very light sleeper. I don't share a room with DH I am certainly not going to share with a stranger.
    The river boat cruises are very intriguing. However they are all in Europe. And those overnight flights are killer.
    So you travel with one of those travel groups I've heard about? Which one? And how does that work? Do they plan the whole thing for you?
    SVAL

I was disappointed in the cruise that I took to Alaska. Yes, the quilting classes were during the At Sea days, but I missed a lot of fun the ship had to offer you. In one class - there were so many ladies sea sick that it ended up only a few ladies, me and my friend that were able to stay in the class. I will keep quilting and cruising separate from now on.

Susan

I think a quilting cruise would be so so much fun! I think you should go for it. Cruising is the best way to travel and you are right. Those days at sea are long and would be perfect. And how wonderful to be with a like minded group!! Let us know how you do!!!! I see a lot of them in the quilting magazines... FUN......

Last spring I went on a cruise arranged by my local quilt shop with a nationally known quilt instructor. Janome provided top of the line machines! We only quilted on days at sea but I didn't go back for the sessions after early seating dinner because my husband was with me. There were ladies from all over the country- they found it by googling quilting cruises. It was easy to make new friends. We were able to make headway on the instructors quilt and a mystery quilt. I have finished both of them since returning! Go for it!

I would just love to do one Annette Ornleas (Southwind Designs) as the teacher I have followed her work on the net and have several of her patterns but more than anything I would love to do a cruise with her , but as I am on the other side of world it will have to be a dream but you never know some dreams come true .

Quote Originally Posted by judy363905 View Post
    I have been on a ship while a group was taking a quilting cruise. As a quilter, I was embarrassed by the behavior of the quilters... Loud, took over some areas of the ship and were overall quite rude to the other passengers aboard. After this experience I decided I would not join a quilting cruise and would also avoid any cruise that was hosting one.

Judy in Phx, AZ
    Upon realizing that some cruise ships hold more than 1000 people, I am curious about this. Were they louder than any other group on the cruise? Just curious. I always perceive quilters as being such nice people.

When they were rude, what do you mean specifically? I've only been on one very small cruise (a Nile Cruise). My sis told me that wasn't a "real" cruise--just a boat ride. I'm trying to visualize it.

I am looking for something in the spring. That is when my husband is planning a biking trip with his brother to Holland. I think it would be good to be going somewhere while he is away.
    Try this one

http://www.sewmanyplaces.com/

http://www.sewmanyplaces.com/trips.php

Quilter's Emporium in Sugar Land, TX and Stitchin' Heaven in Mineola, TX both do Carribea quilting cruises. Stitchin' Heaven also does bus tours. I have never taken a cruise, either, but an Alaska quilting cruise is on my bucket list. Hope you find one you enjoy.

Blog Entries
    My SIL and I are taking a quilting cruise in May! I live in Texas and she lives in California, so it will be fun in many ways. We selected a cruise based on a class I took at Houston this year. The teacher was Charlotte Angotti and the cruise is through Stitchin Heaven (stitchinheaventravel.com). There are several cruises to choose from. We are doing Girlfriends at Sea, May 1-8 cruising the Western Carribean. There will be 3 teachers and 3 classes.

You said you are looking to take a cruise alone. If you take this one, look for the SILs and you'll have two friends from the git-go! PM me if you want more info.
    AudreyB
    Those who sleep under quilts are covered with love.

I've been on 5 or 6 quilting cruises and loved them. The sewing is on your days at sea and the port days are free to do as you please, Even if you decide not to do a particular class you meet lots of nice people.

The river boat cruises are very intriguing. However they are all in Europe. And those overnight flights are killer.
    SVAL
    Actually, there are a couple companies that do river cruises in North America. I'm looking at doing one of these with my parents (to see if they like it... if they do, I'm hoping to take them to one in Europe). I know you can do them on the St. Lawrence River (in Canada) and the Mississippi; I suspect there are others, if you just choose a big waterway and Google it.

These aren't quilting cruises, but might be good if you're worried about seasickness, or want to do a lot of touring.

http://www.americancruiselines.com/c...-river-cruises
    http://www.stlawrencerivercruise.com...age=experience
    http://usarivercruises.com/destinati...river-cruises/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast