Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starching a quilt top >

Starching a quilt top

Starching a quilt top

Old 02-14-2018, 04:56 AM

Starch is bought, will be trying it out this weekend! Thanks for all the tips.

GeriB - I'm not taking it apart LOL ... it's in the middle of a huge quilt, and I simply won't do it for this one.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:14 AM

I think you might be creating more problems for yourself than you will be solving by starching at this point. There are so many things that go into a puckering situation; some patches might have been too large in relation to those around it; the seam allowances not even when the stitching done; stretching bias edges when 'ironing instead of pressing; steam that shrunk one fabric differently than adjacent fabrics. The problem cannot be solved unless you understand the cause of it.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

How to flatten a "not so perfect" quilt or wavy border on YouTube may give you some pointers. It is by Kelly Cline Quilting and she shrinks about 6 inches from an antique quilt top on a frame.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
How to flatten a "not so perfect" quilt or wavy border on YouTube may give you some pointers. It is by Kelly Cline Quilting and she shrinks about 6 inches from an antique quilt top on a frame.
Perfect, I'll look at that too!

Quilterpurpledog - I know exactly what happened, I'm just not willing to fix it. I tested a pattern that I designed and ran into some problems. I tried a quick fix on the way, it obviously didn't work LOL The quilt is just for me and the cat to cuddle up on the sofa with, so I don't really care about some puckering. I've never used starch before, so this is also the perfect opportunity to try it out!

Thanks for all the suggestions and help
Old 02-14-2018, 02:46 PM

Hopefully, you will let us know how this works for you. Never know when you might need a fix for this type of situation. Good luck!
Old 02-14-2018, 02:53 PM

I am always amazed at what blocking can accomplish. If you have a spot--spare bed, empty floor area--and can lay out the top (even if you fold over the outside parts and pin or tape them down-you really just want to stabilize the area that you want to block) then spray with plain old water and let it dry. I have shrunk (and stretched) blocks this way as well as squaring up very wonky panels. If it doesn't work, nothing lost.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:21 PM

I just watched the video Tartan! WOW ... Looks like I might be ok since mine is definitely not as bad as she said hers was!

Thanks all
Old 02-14-2018, 05:17 PM

Great question and greats suggestions. I sure will need this, someday! thank you.