Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
starching ? >

starching ?

starching ?

Old 03-23-2013, 07:03 AM
CRO

Default starching ?

I have done a search and have read numerous threads about starching and learned a lot. Here are the questions I still have. Do I starch the front or the back of the fabric? Does it matter? How stiff does Best Press get fabric. Would it or a spray starch be better for a lot of bias cuts?
Old 03-23-2013, 07:16 AM

Haven't used Best Press so can't answer that question for you. I use the Sta-Flo liquid starch and make up a quantity as I go - about 50/50. I spray the top of my fabric. I find that concentration 'ok' for bias cuts but would probably have better results if I used a slightly heavier concentration. Might try that next time, come to think of it! I don't know that it really matters if you starch the front or the back but I look at - why make extra work flipping stuff back/forth. I do wash all of my completed quilts so any residual is washed away. Then again, by the time I get done hand quilting them, I don't know that there's really much starch left in them.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:28 AM

Couple things I have learned
1. Mom taught me to let the starch set a little before ironing, like letting it dry a bit, 30sec or so. This sets the starch better and also prevents the 'dusting' you get when you iron wet starch (kinda like starch dandruff)
2. Just starch the front, doing both sides is kinda a waste of time,
3. Starch should not make it "paper" stiff. It should feel like the fabric was unwashed....so kinda like when it still had the sizing in it. or slightly softer.
4. Trying to make it feel like paper causes it to have dandruff. apparently there is a max amt of starch a fabric will take.

I use best press because I like how it doesnt flake as bad when my impatience gets in the way of the starch drying.

If you have long bias cuts (like more than 6-8inches or so) do a long basting stitch along the bias close to the edge. It will keep the fabric from stretching and will be hidden in the seam allowance anyhow. Starch alone will not keep long edges of bias from stretching. I generally work with bias less than 8inches, so I dont baste.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:38 AM
CRO

Thank you so much for the info NJ and Carolyn.
I am starting a quilt that has a lot of triangles and want to minimize stretch the best I can.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:40 AM

I'm new to quilting and I started Pile O Fabric's block of the month this year. She's a starcher, especially when doing bias cuts, and suggests spraying the starch on one side of the fabric, flipping it over and ironing the opposite side. I find this also helps cut down starch dandruff. I started using niagara or faultless, but got some Best Press and it's just lovely and has no dandruff. But it's pricey, so when it comes time to buy new I have to decide how lovely I need my starch to be.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Onetomatoplant View Post
I'm new to quilting and I started Pile O Fabric's block of the month this year. She's a starcher, especially when doing bias cuts, and suggests spraying the starch on one side of the fabric, flipping it over and ironing the opposite side. I find this also helps cut down starch dandruff. I started using niagara or faultless, but got some Best Press and it's just lovely and has no dandruff. But it's pricey, so when it comes time to buy new I have to decide how lovely I need my starch to be.
being able to withstand my impatience for the starch to dry is worth the cost for me. Otherwise I might actually have to wait .. ***shudder*** I like the lavender scented one, cause then my work smells like a pretty linen closet. Just makes me feel all girly and such
Old 03-23-2013, 07:46 AM

I prefer starch to best press for bias edges. I use the Stay Flo concentrate, and mix my own strength depending on the fabric and the project. It doesn't matter which side you apply the starch , it does matter how long you let the starch absorb into the fabric. Starch prior to cutting. I prefer to let it dry completely , as I get a stiffer result, with no flaking and starch burn on my iron. If I was doing a project with lots of triangles I would starch ahead of time, allowing time to dry , using a strong solution 1 to 1 ratio. When I start a new project I make a good amount of the solution and immerse the fabric into the solution and let it soak in , this gives me the best results. Remember it washes out so make the fabric as stiff as you like.

Last edited by Lori S; 03-23-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

Caroline, I am adding "starch dandruff" to my quilting vocabulary!
Old 03-23-2013, 08:04 AM

First, I make my own starch for several reasons:
1. I can make it for mere pennies per batch
2. I can make it as strong or weak as I want for that particular project
3. No additives, preservatives or anything else to plague me, family members with allergies, or the environment

It's simply place 1 teaspoon corn starch (more or less depending on how stiff you want your fabric to be) in a 2 cup glass measuring cup and dissolve it with a little bit of cool water.

Carefully add one cup boiling water, stir for 30 seconds, then add 1 cup cool tap water. Stir for another 30 seconds.

When cool enough to handle, pour into a spritzer bottle and you're good to go!

This will last up to a week, and give a shake before each spritz.

I spray the starch on the wrong side of my fabric (just personal preference), let it sit for 30 - 60 seconds (sometimes longer if I get distracted doing something else in my quilt room ), then press the fabric.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:06 AM

I use the Sta-Flo also 50/50 or heavier if I need more stiffness. I also let it dry completely before pressing. I usually take my fabric right out of the dryer, spray pieces one at a time and lay flat around my sewing room til the next day, then iron. If I'm ironing something quickly, I do find it makes a bit of difference when you spray one side and press from the other side. I think it kind of draws the starch into the other side.

My mom was not a starcher and was struggling a little, so I asked her to try it on her last quilt...she's a definite convert!