Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
starching ? >

starching ?

starching ?

Old 03-23-2013, 08:12 AM

I use Best Press but I dilute it by half and I still get good results with regard to stiffness.

Letting the starch "set in" your fabric accomplishes two things ... no flaking and reduces the chance of scorching. Most scorching is caused by the starch burning, not the fabric. If you hear a sizzle when you iron, the starch is not set enough.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
If you have long bias cuts (like more than 6-8inches or so) do a long basting stitch along the bias close to the edge. It will keep the fabric from stretching and will be hidden in the seam allowance anyhow. Starch alone will not keep long edges of bias from stretching. I generally work with bias less than 8inches, so I dont baste.
this is a great tip, thanks!
Old 03-23-2013, 08:13 AM
CRO

Thanks for all the info! I sure wish I had known about this board when I first started to quilt.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

I use a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water for yardage that will be used for backings or for bias cuts. My method, which is easy and fast, is to use a large wall painting brush to apply the starch (I do this on my kitchen island) until the fabric is saturated, toss the fabric in the dryer, then iron with steam. I have tried thicker starch solutions than this and found them more difficult to apply, so I stick to 1:1. The yardage does come out fairly stiff, but this is good -- means the fabric is not going to stretch or distort as I work with it.

Best Press and other sizings do not provide anywhere near the stiffness and stability of starch.

Edit: With the 1:1 solution done the way I describe, long bias lengths do not stretch and do not require a basting stitch, at least in my experience.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

I starch very heavy, the fabric is paper stiff before I cut. I use the powdered starch and make my own. For touch ups I use spray starch or pressing spray. I have tried the cornstarch home made starch and it's good to add sizing to fabric but it will go bad if not used up in a couple of weeks. It's cheap to make though,.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:12 AM

Good suggestions for starching. Thanks for the corn starch recipe - will try it next time I iron.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:12 AM

I love starch but can't seem to find it in Canada. Every time I have a family member or friend heading to the States my request is the same Non aerosol Niagara Spray Starch ($1.77) at Target 22 fluid ounces as opposed to 16 ounce bottle of Best Press at $9.99 in Canada. I'd love a jug of the Sta-Flo but DD couldn't find it on her last trip. The starch definitely makes the fabric stiffer than the Best Press.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:37 AM

I was at a "school day" with a group of teachers and many students. One teacher taught how to starch and iron your fabric. She said to spray the starch on the back, make it as damp as they did in the day when you had to spritz your clothes to damp iron. Set aside for a bit (while you spray the rest?), she bunched it up so it would not dry completely. Then opened it right side up and ironed. Said the starch had a chance to coat the threads and by ironing on top you pulled the starch through, she used Best Press - really like the smell. Been trying to remember to do that.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:20 PM
CRO

I see many have said they use a paint brush to apply the Sta-Flo in a 1-1 solution. Is it to thick to use in a sprayer at that dilution?
Old 03-23-2013, 02:42 PM

My favorite starch is the Niagra liquid spray starch. It gives my fabric just the right amount of stiffness I am looking for. Sometimes if I am impatient and don't want to wait for the fabric starch to dry, I will pop it into the dryer for a few minutes. Makes the fabric easier to iron and it hasn't bothered my dryer any.