Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
starching ? >

starching ?

starching ?

Old 03-25-2013, 04:59 AM

I only spray starch fabric for machine embroidery. I use Crisp spray starch as it gives the best result, but it cost about $5.00 per can.
I do add a spray when I'm first ironing the yardage. After that I just use water. I just fold my fabric accordion style
jnto hot water to check for bleeding and take care of shrinkage. Maybe I don't remove all the sizing but I don't seem to have trouble. I don't have trouble with bias edges because I don't usually use them. In fact I avoid them like the plague.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:06 AM

I have never starched pieces before sewing them, bias or straight edge. I have been quilting for over 20 yrs. I guess I am a renigade...I don't use "glue" on anything either. Oh, I also do not wash my fabric...if I suspect a bleeder, I will cut off a piece put in cup of HOt WATER and watch....if no dye run, it is good to go........if run, do not use it at all.....will replace with something else........I don't make many quilts with navy blue or red for the dye run probability.....

I simply take my time piecing, using pins if I feel it necessary, use a stiletto a lot to hold things in place before it reaches the needle...so far so good!!!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:13 AM

I buy my Sta-Flo at Walmart in the jug. I really like Best Press, but it is way too expensive.

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
I love starch but can't seem to find it in Canada. Every time I have a family member or friend heading to the States my request is the same Non aerosol Niagara Spray Starch ($1.77) at Target 22 fluid ounces as opposed to 16 ounce bottle of Best Press at $9.99 in Canada. I'd love a jug of the Sta-Flo but DD couldn't find it on her last trip. The starch definitely makes the fabric stiffer than the Best Press.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:19 AM

I used Niagra liquid but had to stop because the fragrance gave me headaches, otherwise it worked great.

Originally Posted by SherriB View Post
My favorite starch is the Niagra liquid spray starch. It gives my fabric just the right amount of stiffness I am looking for. Sometimes if I am impatient and don't want to wait for the fabric starch to dry, I will pop it into the dryer for a few minutes. Makes the fabric easier to iron and it hasn't bothered my dryer any.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:19 AM

I try to startch and let it dry prior to marking a quilt. Somewhere I read this makes it easier to remove marks.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:49 AM
Banned

One more question about starch. Would there be a difference between the stuff in the fabric stores and the cheap stuff in discount stores? (not sure if the dollar store carries starch?) I'm going to use starch for the first time but really don't want to pay an arm and leg for it.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dragonomine View Post
One more question about starch. Would there be a difference between the stuff in the fabric stores and the cheap stuff in discount stores? (not sure if the dollar store carries starch?) I'm going to use starch for the first time but really don't want to pay an arm and leg for it.
I buy my starch at Walmart or the grocery store. I'm now tempted to try mixing my own.

When I have a lot of fabric to starch and press I spray a piece then stack it. When all the pieces are done, I flip the pile over and start pressing the first piece that was sprayed - this forces me to give the starch time to soak into the fabric.

Cheers, K
Old 03-25-2013, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I prefer starch to best press for bias edges. I use the Stay Flo concentrate, and mix my own strength depending on the fabric and the project. It doesn't matter which side you apply the starch , it does matter how long you let the starch absorb into the fabric. Starch prior to cutting. I prefer to let it dry completely , as I get a stiffer result, with no flaking and starch burn on my iron. If I was doing a project with lots of triangles I would starch ahead of time, allowing time to dry , using a strong solution 1 to 1 ratio. When I start a new project I make a good amount of the solution and immerse the fabric into the solution and let it soak in , this gives me the best results. Remember it washes out so make the fabric as stiff as you like.
Exactly how I do it. Much easier to quilt if you also starch the back prior to making the sandwich.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:08 AM

Does anyone starch in layers? Allyssa at Pile O' Fabric does it. She lightly sprays one side, flips it over, then irons. Then she lightly sprays THAT side, flips it back over and irons again...repeating until the fabric is as stiff as she likes it.
I can see the point of not saturating and then immediately ironing the other side to avoid scorching...I can also see the value in saturating, tossing in the dryer THEN ironing.

Is the layering process simply to avoid scorching?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Teeler View Post
Does anyone starch in layers? Allyssa at Pile O' Fabric does it. She lightly sprays one side, flips it over, then irons. Then she lightly sprays THAT side, flips it back over and irons again...repeating until the fabric is as stiff as she likes it.
I can see the point of not saturating and then immediately ironing the other side to avoid scorching...I can also see the value in saturating, tossing in the dryer THEN ironing.

Is the layering process simply to avoid scorching?
I dilute my sta-flo with fabreeze. It smells wonderful! It solves the problem of spending lots of $ on Best Press. I learned this on this board and it works for me.