Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Start/stop button on sewing machines >

Start/stop button on sewing machines

Start/stop button on sewing machines

Old 10-13-2011, 05:05 AM

I have a friend who swore she'd never use it, but she now loves it. (As a matter of fact, she almost didn't buy her machine because she thought she was paying extra for that feature and she knew she'd never use it.) But when we went on a retreat and her foot pedal didn't make the trip with us, she had three choices. Not sew, buy a new machine or use the button. Needless to say, she used the button and rarely uses the foot pedal now.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

I have a Quilters Star that has one, I never used it but, I feel I have more control using a foot pedal. I haven't used this machine for a while, needs to be serviced.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:17 AM

It is a good thing to have when you need it. Use mine at times for long pieces.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:26 AM

Yes, I have one and I use it all the time. I don't even know where my foot pedal is right now. Once you get used to it, it is great!!
Old 10-13-2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Marilyn6
How many of you use the Start/Stop button on your machine instead
of the foot pedal. I have not yet been able to get used to it.
Marilyn
I use it on my embroidery machine. It does have a foot pedal but I don't have it plugged in. I'm not sure why. Maybe because I didn't use it (pedal) when I started using it. But I like it. It is the only machine I have that has that feature.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:29 AM

Yes...I remember all of those...my grandmother was a seamstress and I used to sit and watch her sew. When I bought a machine with the knee bar, I thought it was like the old knee pedal and was disappointed when it wasn't...

Originally Posted by grammagayle
All of these posts have made me realize how VERY out of date my Pfaff 7550 is. I had to look up 'start stop on a sewing machine' on Google to see what you all were talking about. But my machine altho old and apparently VERY OUT OF DATE still does my work for me. So I'll stick with her. But sounds very good. I'll bet most of you don't remember when we ran our sewing machines with a knee pedal that hung down from the bottom of the SEWING MACHINE CABINET; AND the sewing machine was inset IN that cabinet instead of sitting on top. I've noticed on many of the pictures on this site that even the cabinets that are for sale don't have that opening to be able to set your machine in it for a level surface.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by sewwhat85
i just used mine for sewing long strips together was better than chasing the foot
I have one, have not used it-relatively new machine-old one did not have it, what I am disappointed with is the fact that this machine's foot pedal is small and I have to keep "looking" for it on the floor--old one was almost page size and stayed put...time to go to the dollar store and buy some of that shelf padding........

Also, I am finding that when I use the feature that cuts the thread, when I remove piece and begin new one, most of the time, the dumb needle unthreads itself--have to stop and rethread...machine has mechanism that does that too, but kind of clumsy.....you can tell I and machine are not gelling yet!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2011, 05:40 AM

I started using my start/stop button when I had surgery on my right foot, which is the one I use for the pedal. Love it!
Old 10-13-2011, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

I wish I had one, it would certainly help my arthritic joints in my legs. Oh well.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:04 AM

given that my sewing machine was made in the '70s (that's 1970s) I only have a foot pedal; no start/stop button. ;-)