Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Start/Stop button >

Start/Stop button

Start/Stop button

Old 04-10-2021, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
The stop / start button is great for free-motion quilting. I have a speed control on my Bernina that lets me set the speed I want to quilt. Then I don't have to think about anything but moving the fabric evenly, not about what my foot is doing with the pedal.
What great information! I'm going to try that, and thank you!
Old 04-10-2021, 07:23 PM

My foot pedal has gone out on my machine. I bought another and it wouldn't work, so I determined it was probably that computer module in my machine. Just the trip to the tech is over $150, and then parts and any extra labor. I LOVE my start/stop button!!!!
Old 04-11-2021, 12:56 AM

Here is a link to a Janome video with tips and tricks about the start/stop button. I never really used the start/stop except with embroidery, but at a retreat my foot petal would not stay put and I got tired of chasing it around, so switched to the button and was pleased with how easy it is to use. Always good to have another option, no matter what!
If you have a Janome machine, this series of videos on "tips and tricks" are pretty informative. Not familiar with other brands but the basic info may be helpful with them too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27bHw0gaRGY
Old 04-11-2021, 03:36 AM

The stop / start button is great for free-motion quilting. I have a speed control on my Bernina that lets me set the speed I want to quilt. Then I don't have to think about anything but moving the fabric evenly, not about what my foot is doing with the pedal.
That’s when I use my star/stop button as well.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:54 AM

The only time I use it is when I have the embroidery unit on my machine. I have friends who have broken their foot pedal and use it all the time but I have never gotten into using it.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:08 AM

Had it on a brother that I sewed to death. Flipped back and forth depending on what I was doing. Initially missed it but adjusted -- but expecting my Husqvarna Rose might die (lady is well into her thirties and a heavy weight for workshops) I recently purchased a Jade. Jade has one but I haven't really used her so we shall see. If we ever get back to our bi-weekly sew ins I guess I'll find out.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:18 AM

Great idea! Thank you for that information.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:16 AM

I use mine frequently. It is great on turns or for Y seams. I use it to turn corners on smaller projects like making bowl cozies. These are just a couple examples of what I use it during my sewing or quilting projects.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:30 AM

I always use mine. Love it! One of the best things they invented.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:47 AM

Boy...there is no way I have ever been able to figure out how to sew with that button! I learned with the knee lever, and then the foot pedal. I'm also a two handed sewer. I hold or place my left hand guiding, holding, flattening, and my right hand is feeding/adjusting the fabric...so there is that! I'm going to have to find some videos, to figure out how to use it! Confusing concept to me.