Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starting again, Need tools recommendations >

Starting again, Need tools recommendations

Starting again, Need tools recommendations

Old 02-02-2017, 09:06 AM

Besides the basic rulers, the one I use the most is Quilt In A Days triangle square up ruler. Since I like to make them 8 at a time with large squares, it is easy to use with just one cut to square them up.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

I just need to say welcome back to the quilting world.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:17 AM

Today there is a JAS coupon for the notions wall (seam ripper, pins, needles, marking chalk) and a 40% off regular item that could be used for a rotary cutter. If you need everything, you could use it for a set (mat, cutter and ruler). If you can wait until the notions wall is on sale, then you could also use a 20% (or 30%) coupon on total purchase of sale and regular items coupon. We run them fairly regularly. Just a heads up, the notions wall does not include the quilting notions area or the cutting tools. Just make another trip. Everyday you have coupons on your phone under Joanns.com. At the minimum, there will be a regular item coupon and a fabric coupon - daily. I print them out and then go in when I have 2 or 3. They are usually good for the week and if they have different code numbers so you can use all of them.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:18 AM

Tucker trimmer from Studio 180 is a must for me for squaring up. Also a 1/4 marking ruler. Studio 180 calls it a wand, but I like the one that's 12 inches long and let's you mark the sewing lines on either side and cutting line down the middle. I'm a gadget girl so I have a ton of rulers. Those 2 are my go to rulers for each and every project.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:09 AM

I'll second/third/forth the Olfa Ergonomic rotary cutter. Someone else mentioned titanium blades lasting longer, and I haven't tried those, but I have found the Olfa blades last much longer than other brands I've tried. They're more expensive per blade, but much less expensive per use.

For rulers, I like the Creative Grid and the Olfa Frosted. They're the only brands I've found that don't slide all over the place. The Olfa has better markings, but it tends to not slide even when I'm trying to reposition it. The Creative Grids is easy to reposition, but the markings are often in the way because they're so big and the logo is huge. I'm still on the fence as to which is less annoying.

My favorite cutting mat is the Fiskars eco - no smell!!!

If you need a pin cushion I highly recommend the magnetic ones. Just don't put them on your computerized sewing machine or any other computer/phone/tablet.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:28 AM

Quick note: the magnetic pin cushions do not mess up the computerized sewing/embroidery machines.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:40 AM

Good to know. I've wondered about that for sometime.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
I like olfa for cutters and creative grid rulers are the best IMHO
I agree. Olfas are good and reasonable priced, especially when JoAnns has a sale. Creative Grid Rulers are the best. I prefer the Fons & Porters seam rippers (also at JoAnns - but not always on sale). Olfa cutting mats are also some of the best, unless you can afford a Martelli (they also have great sales) or Alvin mat.