Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starting again, Need tools recommendations >

Starting again, Need tools recommendations

Starting again, Need tools recommendations

Old 02-01-2017, 05:44 AM

Default Starting again, Need tools recommendations

Starting from scratch, again! I work best with the right tools. Any recommendations on a good rotary cutter and measuring squares, rulers etc. I would appreciate your suggestions and any tips. Thanks, Madgie
Old 02-01-2017, 06:01 AM

Depends on your budget.....and what you want to do...start with the basics, naturally, then work on up - gathering as you go......you state "again" so you must have a history, that should help you make shopping, choosing, decisions.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:17 AM

Go to JoAnn's with coupons and you can get a lot of the basics at a reduced cost. I started with the combo kit of fiscars rotary cutter, 6" x 24" ruler and (maybe 18" x 24") matt! I've worked my way up to a much larger cutting matt that fits my whole table. Welcome back to the wonderful world of quilting!
Old 02-01-2017, 06:22 AM

I agree with Orangeroom. Joann's with a coupon will give you some good tools and at a very reduced price. Then you can add as you go.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:33 AM

Whichever rulers you decide to get, I highly recommend that you get all the same manufacturer. They *play* better together. Seriously.

While at the stores, take two of the squares to some fabric and lay it out and use the tools to pretend to cut. Do the tools make sense to you? Can you easily see the hash marks and the intersects? Try them on a few different fabrics.

My personal preference is Creative Grids. When I started quilting I started with a 6X24, a 6.5 square and a 12.5" square of two different manufacturers. At some point I needed a different size and I bought a Creative Grids. I have since collected every size they make. They are well marked, can be used to the left or the right, easy to see, have 1/4 and 1/5 edges that are frosted, have non-slip dots on the back, marked angles with good intersecting hash marks. All around - great rulers.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:37 AM

Don't forget to get a seam ripper!
Old 02-01-2017, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

olfa rotary cutter with safety button. if button not pushed to keep the blade out, it will close itself when you put it down. lovely option! Fiscars scissors and i love omni grid rulers. but as said, stay with one maker of rulers.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Whichever rulers you decide to get, I highly recommend that you get all the same manufacturer. They *play* better together. Seriously.

While at the stores, take two of the squares to some fabric and lay it out and use the tools to pretend to cut. Do the tools make sense to you? Can you easily see the hash marks and the intersects? Try them on a few different fabrics.

My personal preference is Creative Grids. When I started quilting I started with a 6X24, a 6.5 square and a 12.5" square of two different manufacturers. At some point I needed a different size and I bought a Creative Grids. I have since collected every size they make. They are well marked, can be used to the left or the right, easy to see, have 1/4 and 1/5 edges that are frosted, have non-slip dots on the back, marked angles with good intersecting hash marks. All around - great rulers.
Oh my - thought this was me talking! I'm definitely a believer in having all your rulers be of the same brand. And tae what initially appeals to you to both some light and dark fabrics and see which brand you prefer on BOTH fabrics. I'm not so wedded to the frosted edges - I never remember why they are there or which measurement I'm using at the time, lol.

But yes, start with the basics - you know what they are. Go to JoAnns armed with coupons. Since you've been down this road previously, you probably already have some brand preferences. Go with your gut. You can take your time.

Remember, all you really need is fabric, needle, thread and some scissors. Anything other than that is just there to make your life easier. It definitely takes time to amass all of our goodies - most of which we can live without for a while.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:29 PM

I like olfa for cutters and creative grid rulers are the best IMHO
Old 02-01-2017, 06:35 PM

Thank you all for the advice and suggestions; all of the above is very useful information that I will put to good use. I did not know if tools had evolved since my last quilt many years ago. Joann's coupons work for me too! Thank you, Madgie