Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: starting on next christmas, anyone else?

I am doing the block of the week already have two blocks in Christmas scraps finished and yes I enjoy quilting sewing so much that I will be sewing for Christmas all year. I give handmade gifts and well only two hands so I have to start early. I am planning on using boom blocks for placemats and wall hanging gifts, tablerunners etc. Last year lost half of it seriously ill thisyear is a comeback year for me I will be done by the end of Sept. and happy at that. A bit at a time does add up doesnt it? good post. keeps you thinking which is not a bad thing at all.
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

I got the after Xmas sale on big big gift bags just in case. I am not sure if I will be giving already made quilts or new ones. But the packaging is ready.

Blog Entries
    I am enjoying the planning phase for this new year's (2013) Holiday Season (not just Christmas). I so enjoy the planning, will probably start a project in a week or so. Right now I am also anticipating the start of the Mystery Quilt and BOM Season. Gotta love Mystery Quilts. Also, gotta straighten my sewing room before I start any new projects.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Blog Entries
    I have four quilts to make before June and three to finish. I bought fabric but not for Christmas items. Need to finish what is on my list first before I can think about that!

I already started last week. I made 6 twin size and 1 lap quilt since the end of July for 2012 Christmas. I want to do 6 twins and 3 doubles by next Christmas. I went out over this past weekend and bought enough fabric for 3 of the twins. I already had 1 started and I am quilting it today.

I wish I were thinking of gifts but right now I am thinking of the wedding dress I need to make by April. Now it would not be quite so worrisome if I were not going to have to resize the pattern completely. My daughter found this lovely vintage patterns she absolutely loves, and wants THAT dress. But its only 4 sizes too small. So first I have to remake the pattern pieces and get a test dress done, before I can even begin on the final dress. No pressue here : )

So Christmas is the very last thing on my mind.
    Amythyst

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    Went to joanns with some gift cards today. Got a mess of fabs on sale plus 10% more off. Since im not sure of mynext project, and you know christmasis coming and you have to make these gifts anyway, is anyone starting now??????
    It never seems to people that yes, its that time ofyear again, so i like to get a jump on it. Hot mitts,strata table runners, and emb. Napkins. Some cute polar fleecemittens and matching mittens. A quilt ortwo for the poor. Some scarves and hats also. Polarfleece atjoanns in the discount bin is $2.00/ yd today. Stock up now.
    tell me what you're working on.
    I started on 2013 Christmas last week. Its never too early. hehehe
    Stitching is Meditation in Motion

I'm going to make 1 Christmas project each month then I won't be swamped come Nov in between I'll be doing a quilt for me, pillow cases and hats for Wounded Warriors. Should keep me busy. Happy New Year Everyone.

Blog Entries
    Nope, not me. I still have too many unfinished projects from this Christmas plus a few others. I had good intentions but with the meds I'm taking for newly diagnosed Eplipsys that makes me tired and my body ache and it makes me weak and then grandkids/family all got the flu and working overtime for 3 months prior to Christmas, I got behind. The only new things that I'll be working on in between catching up and finishing what I have going on is for my embroidery class. I take club each month to learn new things, I also have a class coming up that we'll create an organizer that holds my mouse, USB device, pen and tablet of paper that will get a lot of use taking my laptop to my other class. Which is learning more about 5D Pro, my new Diamond Deluxe and the newest part of 5D which is the Stitch Editor Plus. I have to keep learning so this is the only new projects that I'm allowing myself to do until the others are done and out of the way. Good luck on your early start. I think that is great that you can do it. The first project that I want to finish is my DGD 3D pinwheel quilt that I started making when she was about to be born and she's now 22mos so I'd like to finish it for her birthday in Feb. Happy New Years to all of you.
    Judy

I've started crocheting scarves for next Christmas.
    Peace is one of His greatest gifts.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    LOL started right after Christmas : crocheting some blankets for the Grands, then looked over patterns for the quilts. Bought a few things from the stores that was 50-75 % off for the Grands. Teaching a 68 year old friend how to quilt so she can make a few baby quilts for her DGS for his bday and Christmas.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I was supposed to make lap quilts for my neices and nephew. With the sewing maching in the shop a good part of the summer, hurricane sandy (My neighbors had power in 2 days and it took another 6 days so no sewing) and then throw in a sprained wrist in Dec. I never got things done. I plan to work on 1 a month for the year and have them done for next Christmas.

Blog Entries
    I have already completed a couple of Christmas Towel--embroidered. (I didn't get hem done for this year!! )

Next Christmas

I am working on a Strata Star table topper. Not sure if it's going to be a gift to myself or for a retirement dinner. I don't like waiting until the last minute. That's what happened last year. Had projects started and then had emergency surgery. Slowed me down . Would like to do a couple of holiday quilts also. There are so many ideas out there that I'd like to make one of each but I know that's impossible. Besides I only have one table and a hutch. Both of my girls like to decorate their homes for all of the holidays. Keeps me pretty busy sometimes. Happy New Year......Pat

Am finishing up a small lap size Christmas quilt I started in December just to have something cheery to work on and use up a stash of random holiday fabric I don't even remember buying. I will hold it until next fall, then donate to a resale shop to benefit animal rescue.

For next year, I will be making the tote bag for my granddaughter's half sister that I merely started this year. I did make her a few other things, that only took an hour or so, and a ruffled scarf, but the tote alluded me. And I failed to make anything for my daughter, so I have cut fabric for some mug rugs, and have some fabric for a wall hanging she wants, so those are on my list first. Then I have 3 or 4 more quilts to cut and sew (have the patterns and fabric). It is never ending - and I do not want it to end. But I also have to get my fabric "fix" each month, and so it goes.

I knew Christmas day what I was going to make for next years gifts. But I do have to do Valentines Day first.
    "Impossible is an opinion, not a fact" Cameron Clapp

http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...47687D2C18.png

Blog Entries
    Yes have a few small things I will do next. I did this last year and it was nice ti have something new and was done!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by klgreene View Post
    I knew Christmas day what I was going to make for next years gifts. But I do have to do Valentines Day first.
    Soooooo what's on the list for valentines day????
    i need help there also.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zennia View Post
    Yes , I am finishing up a few things and starting more. I just bought two patterns I am ready to try. Both of them are Christmas tree ornaments.
    What do the ornaments look like, can you post a pic of them please?

Yes! Didn't make any this Christmas. Went shopping at JoAnn's yesterday to pick up a few more pieces of Christmas fabric to add to the holiday stash. I'll be making 3 queen and 1 king bed quilts of various Christmas/Holiday themes. First, I will use them to decorate the bedrooms in my home and when the kids head home after Christmas, the one in their bedroom can go home with them.

nope, a wedding is coming in April and haven't even bought it's fabric yet. i gotta book on that! Then i'll start thinking about Christmas. but i already have ideas.

Not yet, I'm still getting over this one. Besides I have honed and refined my procrastination to a point that it has become an art form. . . And at 80 one has to hang on to whatever skills we have. ( grin)
    Last edited by bobquilt3; 01-01-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Lynnie--I'm making twin sized Irish chain quilts for 2 of my nieces. Sisters are getting Christmas tree skirts and maybe some embroidered Christmas ornaments. Maybe casserole carriers or embroidered towels. Might make some holiday pillow sleeves so they can change out pillow on sofa. None of my sisters has really acknowledged this year's gifts though so....
    Heather

Of course! I usually don't get all done by Santa time, so while I'm still in the mood I use clearance prices to get a head start on next year. Of course, something usually gets me out the Christmas sewing mood pretty quickly, like Valentine's Day, or a new baby needing a quilt, or the first warm day!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast