Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starting a quilt? >

Starting a quilt?

Starting a quilt?

Old 10-22-2012, 05:49 AM

Most of the time I choose the pattern first. Occasionally, because I make a lot of QFK quilts, I have fabric that I have to find a pattern for. For example, I have a scrap of great fabric with monkeys on it that someone donated - but there is only about 16 inches. There isn't enough of it to do any of the "standard" QFK's patterns so I to find something that will work or, if I can't find a pattern that will work, I make something up!
Old 10-22-2012, 06:29 AM

I buy fabric because I like it, and have built a nice stash over the years. Very handy now that fabric prices have shot up so high. I shop from my stash first, then fill in if I need to.

I like to design my quilt first, then go to my stash to see what fits. Since I make a lot of scrappy quilts, value and color are more important than yardage. The only time I worry about yardage is when doing borders.

Sometimes when I see that I have 3+ yards of fabrics that go together, them I may plan a quilt around those fabrics.

So to answer your question, I would have to say, "It depends,"
Old 10-22-2012, 06:36 AM

As a relatively new quilter, made my first quilt last January, I usually pick the person who it will be going to. Then it is a toss up, if I see a pattern or fabric for them. My current quilt is Happy Daisies for a granddaughter from out of state, we do not have much contact with them. My next quilt is for a young nephew who is VERY smart and his quilt will be based on a fabric of books. So it really depends on the person.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:26 AM

Most of the time pattern then fabric.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:37 PM

Like all the rest it just depends. I did find when I began quilting I found the pattern first then the fabric. Of course like many of us once you start this wonderful life of quilting you will come across fabric you really love and start building your own personal stash.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
As a relatively new quilter, made my first quilt last January, I usually pick the person who it will be going to. Then it is a toss up, if I see a pattern or fabric for them. My current quilt is Happy Daisies for a granddaughter from out of state, we do not have much contact with them. My next quilt is for a young nephew who is VERY smart and his quilt will be based on a fabric of books. So it really depends on the person.

I need to get better about picking a quilt pattern and fabric for a person... being a Newbie, I have only made two quilts but without a person in mind... now I have to decide who to give them to.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
I need to get better about picking a quilt pattern and fabric for a person... being a Newbie, I have only made two quilts but without a person in mind... now I have to decide who to give them to.
jmoore, why not keep them for yourself? After all, you must have liked the fabrics and patterns or you wouldn't have made them. Sometime down the road, you may decide they are perfect for a certain person and you can gift them then.

The first quilt(s) are also great for comparing with ones you make in a year or two. You can see how far you've come and can pat yourself on the back for the improvement.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:59 PM

I'd suggest pattern firstm, be sure if you go to a quilt shop to mention this will be your first quilt.
Perhaps w/some samples on display it will help you to see the construction process also.
Happy quilting
Old 10-24-2012, 08:06 PM

I have to have a project in mind before shopping for material. I think it all depends on how your creative mind works. There's no right or wrong.