Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Starting a scrappy quilt

I just spent 2 evenings trying to organize just my scraps. I'm new to quilting. How would you suggest starting a quilt using just my scraps. Seems like I see a lot of 9-patch quilts and disappearing 9-patch. Is there something else that could help me use up some of this box full of scraps?

Have you ever looked at Bonnie Hunter's website, quiltville.com? She makes some awesome quilts with scraps. I recently pieced a scrappy Double Irish Chain using her "Leaders and Enders" method. She has lots of free scrap quilt patterns. You can also do a search here for "scrap" or "scrappy" and will find many beautiful scrap quilts made by QB members.

Good luck with whatever pattern you choose and be sure to post pictures!

I love Bonnie Hunters scrap quilt pattern. I also like scraps used in a crazy quilt.

Blog Entries
    http://quiltville.com This is a great sight for using up scraps

I just finished a herringbone quilt, gorgeous - 1-1'2" x 7" pieces, with a neutral sashing and border.

Blog Entries
    Can we get a picture of your quilt paintmejudy?

I'm so releived now. I just finally finished trying to organize my fabrics and scraps. At least now I can look in a plastic box and see what I have. WAY TOO MUCH!! But I can at least try to figure out how to use it now. My sewing room is just a corner of our living room. I checked out the site quiltville.com and found lots of ideas for using up scraps. It is a neat site. Thanks for telling me about it. Now I have to go cut bindings for my two projects before I start a class for a sampler quilt Wednesday.

String quilt blocks are also great. I've found that scraps one would never consider using together in another pattern go together great in string quilts. You can decide the size from mini blocks to large ones and there are lots of creative ways to put them together.. There are also lots of great instructions on the web.