Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starting a stash... what would you include? >

Starting a stash... what would you include?

Starting a stash... what would you include?

Old 09-18-2012, 04:39 AM

I didn't start out buying stash, but found out quickly that 5-6 fabric quilts bored me silly. I'm a more fabric there is the prettier kind of girl. I love fabric. So, I go online and buy lots of fabric I love. I have Bella Moda in lots of colors and black, natural, and white. I make pillowcases to go with my quilts, so I'm always looking for that certain look for those. I love, love, love fabric.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:46 AM

over the years that I have been quilting I bought what I liked and have a very large stash but am short on florals there use to be such nice ones as I just dont like these large florals also a mistake that I made was buying to small of pieces I have found if you like something buy at least 2 1/2 yards as you can usually always use it these one yard pieces are hard to put together
Old 09-18-2012, 04:49 AM

I agree with the "stash happens" theory, however, I have been known to buy every color a pattern comes in when one grabs my interest. These are almost always tone-on-tone, or dots. Is there a difference between "stash" which to me is leftover fabric from another project, vs "collection?". I deliberately collect B&W, cat prints and "fur." Fur print seems to come and go in popularity, so I grab it when I find it as I seem to always be appliquéing critters!
Old 09-18-2012, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by JMCDA View Post
I think that is a person question that can be answered differently by every person you ask it of. For myself, I only like scrappy quilts and would never make a quilt with only a few coordinating fabrics so the more the better! I don't like batiks all that much so I don't buy those but I do buy lots of FQ's, layer cakes, jelly rolls and charms...and when i decide what I am going to make I then go out and buy solids or coordinating prints of similar colour for borders etc. The only fabric I would buy yardage of would be whites or tone on tone whites.
Sounds about right to me.... from there, it just happens over time as projects started or are completed
Old 09-18-2012, 07:42 AM

colours I like and patterns that strike my fancy. Marbles and blenders-lots of white on white and white on cream-black and patterned black. Mixed tone on tone-ie blue/green, yellow/orange, purple/pink
Old 09-18-2012, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
Blenders are always good. I just purchase more than I need for every project.
I do this also, but I buy more than I THINK I'll need, frequently it is NOT more than I need (accidents, additions, new puppy....)
Old 09-18-2012, 10:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pat625 View Post
I guess I am a bad stash builder..I just buy what I like when I want it...When there is a good sale, I buy even more..When I go to use some as focus fabric, I end up usually going out to buy the coordinating fabrics. Of course this leads to more stash!!
my kind of stash builder
Kona Snow, black and red and unbleached good quality muslin would be my only buy for stash fabric.

Last edited by gollytwo; 09-18-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:11 AM

Being a bit more serious..... My stash began when I first started quilting. As I toured a fabric store I would see fabric that made me think of a sister, a grandchild, my dear friend.... and I bought. I always buy more than I think I will need and over the years I've been glad. Sometimes the fabric excites me so much I buy it (maybe for a blanket for DH and me) maybe to put it away and wait for the "right reason" or the "time to quilt", perhaps for some unexpected reason. I have a huge music motif collection of fabric because I have grandsons who go to music schools and I also make bus quilts for the on-tour bus.

I think "stash happens" is the best explanation. You and I are not the same and what happens to you is different than what happens to me. Space is a consideration. Cooperative husbands (some DHs grumble, some discover fabric for you) are important. Some quilters are very much into one sort of "feel" with their quilts and their stash reflects that quality. I can't imagine having bolts of fabric myself... my attention span is too short for me to want to make more than one or two quilts using a certain fabric. Also, I love digging through my fabrics (I have an 8'x4'x14"deep cabinet about 2/3 full plus plastic drawers for scraps) and it's enough for me. Yes, sometimes I have to go out and find fabric that will complete/complement what I'm doing, but usually not. My stash is totally mixed, with some panels, some florals, etc., but no plaids. I just don't "do" plaids. Hope this adds to the discussion.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

The one thing I probably would NOT buy in a fabric store would be jelly rolls, layer cakes, etc. - anything that is small that would be annoying to wash - one of the few areas in my life where I am adamant about 'how' I do it!

Good thing that there is room for all of us and our ways of doing things!!

Last edited by bearisgray; 09-18-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:10 AM

I don't have near the stash that others have but I still have enough to last me a year or two of quilting. I find myself preferring FQs in brights, juvenile, 30's, Christmas and florals. That said, I now find I need solids to go along with them.