Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Static Electricity and Supreme Slider >

Static Electricity and Supreme Slider

Static Electricity and Supreme Slider

Old 04-21-2020, 05:48 AM

Default Static Electricity and Supreme Slider

I have been doing a lot of FMQ lately on my domestic machine. I actually finished a queen size “Full Bloom”, and am working on a crib size scrap quilt. When the crib size was harder to move around than the queen, I realized the Supreme Slider had built up so much static electricity that the quilt was locked down with it. I also have an acrylic insert in my drop-in sewing table, which is topped by countertop laminate material (what we used to call Formica.)

I’ve been spraying water on my hand and wiping it over the SS, and that helps for a little while. Has anyone else run into this, and have other ideas to prevent this longer?
Old 04-21-2020, 06:00 AM

Humm.. I have not run into this problem while sewing before but for other static related issues, like with my Accuquilt, I have used a bit of Static Guard and that has helped a great deal. Might be worth a try.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

I wonder if going over your Supreme slider with a dryer sheet might help. Some dryer sheets have the static guard in them.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:17 AM

I have been thinking about getting one of those as I want to learn free motion quilting, but think I'll wait and see what others say about your question.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:05 AM

Are there directions for cleaning it? I wonder if there is a build up of lint that you can't see from your big quilt.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:30 AM

I second the dryer sheet idea. Good quality dryer sheets will reduce static greatly. I've found the generic store brands not as effective. I keep one near my desk to kill static between my clothes and my chair, I also keep one in a ziploc in my purse for when my hair gets really fly-away.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:12 PM
Gay

Does anyone remember those nylon petticoats/half slips we used to wear, and they stuck to our legs? Had to spray them with hair spray to settle the static electricity. Just a thought.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:38 AM

To clean it, you just rinse it with water and wipe or air dry. That helps it stick to the machine bed better too.

I’m wondering if it might be the batting. I usually use 100% cotton but was persuaded by the LQS to use Quilter’s Dream 80/20 this time. It might be the polyester that is contributing. Will see on my next quilting project—that one has 100% wool as an experiment.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:47 AM

A Static Spray memory: When other employees found out I kept a can in my office, I’d get a visitor now & then asking to “borrow” a little. LOL ! How do you “borrow” that ?