Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Steam Ironing question from a guy quilter

Blog Entries
    Turn off the steam and turn down the iron.
    It really doesn't have to be THAT HOT when working with a seam.

I use an iron on medium low no steam (but with the ability to steam if I need it) - my hands aren't warm enough to finger press anything open :)
    I'll Starch and Press with a hot iron when the block is put together and before I square it up for the last time. Works well for me.

REMEMBER you're PRESSING (up/down) not IRONING (left/right) the seam.
    IMHO I would have to rub hard when finger pressing or using another object to press the seam. People should use what works best for them.

I have not used steam for at least 2 years. I either spritz the fabric with water or use Best Press and a tool of some sort. I agree with Ricky Tims - steam irons eventually leak!

Meh....I press to the dark side. Because I don't like steamed fingers, lol!

I bought Kool Fingers, 2 in a package for about $7.00. They are these little knit thingys that go over your fingers, I use them on my left index finger and my left thumb, iron in my right hand, and away I go! No burns or steam ouchies! k

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    I am always burning my fingers when steam ironing a seam open or setting a seam. Is there a technique I am not aware of? Could I use a bone folder to hold the seam open while ironing? :cry: Thanks, Glenn
    That's what I use. I press the seam open with my wooden presser/point turner (same as your bone folder) and then I spray starch/steam the seam in place. Haven't burned my fingers since I began doing it this way.

I use a Kool Finger on the hand that is holding the seam open (when I haven't already pressed it with the wooden iron) but sometimes the steam comes up around the hand that's holding the iron so I bought an "Ove Glove". It's a really high-heat resistant oven mitt/glove that's available at most drug stores or maybe even Wal-Mart. It has grips to help hold the iron and works wonderful.

Blog Entries
    I NEVER use the steam feature on my iron, i keep a spray bottle of water on the ironing board and use that to spritz the fabric before piecing; and if i need to open a seam for pressing i use a wooden pencil. sometimes the point to open and the eraser to hold the seam open while i press. i've been sewing for 45 years so i've had LOTS of burns...always looking for ways to avoid them...sometimes fingerpressing is enough to open the seam and get you started.

If they are small pieces, I just use the little seam roller from my wallpapering supplies and roll it right at the table. Works wonderfully!

Hi Glenn,
    I don't use steam. But I think this maybe one of those
    personal quilting things.
    Some quilters use steam, some don't.
    Personally I never saw a reason to use steam.
    :thumbup:

I love steam and I fingerpress first then plop that 'ol iron down, give it 5 secs to sit and take it away. Used to use a tongue blade but since I am no longer working I don't have access to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by jane65us
    finger press it first, I use my fingernail...it will stay open enough for you to press it

I saw on Fons & Porter Tips to use a leather thimble when pressing seams. Suppose to keep the heat & steam away from fingers. Haven't tried it because I don't have the leather thimble, but it would be worth a try if I had one.

Power Poster
    I use a used, cleaned popsicle stick.

I bet its fun to eat the popcicle too. :-) I can see me "borrowing" a tongue depressor from my doctor during the next visit too. He's kind of used to odd requests. One tongue depressor is really tame for me.

The little roller used to flatten wallpaper seams works really well. Has a nice handle so your fingers are out of the way of the steam.

Dee
    I use a wooden skewer or a popsicle stick.

I stopped using steam when I noticed that I was changing the shape of the fabric. I turned down temp. on the iron and use spray starch. It has made a big difference: my work went up a notch.

Blog Entries
    Only last night I was reading through Ami Simms' "Every Trick In The Book" and came across this little gem: Wet an old toothbrush and run it ahead of the iron. I suppose if you were using a steam iron you could use a dry toothbrush.

www.vansandesign.co.uk

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Steam is great, but remember to drain your iron of all water if you are paper piecing. Steam will shrink the paper and your piece won't fit. I always drain it because I don;t trust the iron not to steam a tiny bit even though it's steam feature is turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
    Steam is great, but remember to drain your iron of all water if you are paper piecing. Steam will shrink the paper and your piece won't fit. I always drain it because I don;t trust the iron not to steam a tiny bit even though it's steam feature is turned off.
    Maybe the shrinkage is the kind of paper used? I accidently used steam on one of my pieces and didn't see any difference with size. There was a slight wave but I let the paper dry before continueing on (Not by design mind you but because it was my first time and I am really SLOW when I'm learning a technique. :-) I write a lot of notes.) Then again, maybe it was beginners luck. Several of us were sharing an iron and switching from steam to no steam constantly (we were all doing different techniques).

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I use the steleto. God bless. penny

I am comimg in a bit late on this but it follows from the discussion of opening the seams or not. If I am working on a block or just two pieces, I lay it down seam up. Hold one edge parallel to the seam and push the dry iron away from you, flattening the seam and not touching your fingers. If it is a very small piece, use just the tip of the iron. I usually turn it over and re press to make sure the seam is completely open on the top.
    Mary

I love to use steam ----- try an "Ov Glove"!!!

The iron I have burns my fingers with steam if I get too close. My previous iron didn't do that. I have been iron shopping, and I noticed that some irons have steam holes closer to the point of the iron and others are farther back.

I like to use steam.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2