Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Got Some Grrrr Help - See the Great Results!

  1. #1
    Super Member C.Cal Quilt Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Central Ca
    Posts
    2,619
    Ran across the tut for the D9P, cool so lets try... Picked some out of the stash. this I'll work. First layout didn't work for me, so decided to use this way. All's Good and then I noticed: :shock:
    Could this be Rayon, have never had happen before, and whats it going to do when I'm done and laundered. Not pressing any more thats for sure.
    :cry: What do you think ???

    up close looks like it shrank
    Name:  Attachment-84658.jpe
Views: 16
Size:  63.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Power Poster erstan947's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    12,168
    Blog Entries
    47
    I had that problem with some fabric I used. I did not press anymore and finished the quilt. After I quilt it I'll wash it and see what happens. Try using a cooler iron.
    I consider it a live and learn....Move on.

  3. #3
    Super Member mom-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,497
    Not sure what type of fabric melts that way...acrylic maybe? I remember an iron print on the front of a favorite dress from my college years...

  4. #4
    Senior Member momymom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    471
    do a burn test on a scrap. Cotton will produce ash, a synthitic blend will ball up, look like plastic and stink.

  5. #5
    Super Member Butterflyblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,438
    I would guess it's a poly-cotton blend, heavy on the poly. I've had that happen with poly-cottons before. Try using a cooler iron. I haven't had any problems in laundering them.

  6. #6
    Super Member C.Cal Quilt Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Central Ca
    Posts
    2,619
    Quote Originally Posted by momymom
    do a burn test on a scrap. Cotton will produce ash, a synthitic blend will ball up, look like plastic and stink.
    It's a synthetic.... Thanks for the tip!

  7. #7
    Pam
    Pam is offline
    Super Member Pam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    3,713
    Aw, heck, just sew on the border! It will be OK! Are you making a quilt or painting the Cistine Chapel? Seriously, it will be fine. Trust me, we have all worked with worse than this. One 3" square is not going to make or break this quilt. It is very pretty, and no one besides you will know when it is done.

  8. #8
    Super Member C.Cal Quilt Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Central Ca
    Posts
    2,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    Aw, heck, just sew on the border! It will be OK! Are you making a quilt or painting the Cistine Chapel? Seriously, it will be fine. Trust me, we have all worked with worse than this. One 3" square is not going to make or break this quilt. It is very pretty, and no one besides you will know when it is done.
    L.O.L. Thanks!

  9. #9
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,455
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    Aw, heck, just sew on the border! It will be OK! Are you making a quilt or painting the Cistine Chapel? Seriously, it will be fine. Trust me, we have all worked with worse than this. One 3" square is not going to make or break this quilt. It is very pretty, and no one besides you will know when it is done.
    I just burst out laughing at the Chapel reference !!! :D:D:D

  10. #10
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    Yup. Make your border seam 1/2" and no one will know.

  11. #11
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    14,914
    Blog Entries
    2
    It looks like a nice quilt anyway. Don't worry about it.

  12. #12
    Power Poster littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,954
    I agree. Finish it. It's a beautiful quilt.

  13. #13
    Gal
    Gal is offline
    Super Member Gal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Zealand in the South Pacific
    Posts
    1,117
    Sorry to see your problem here, Rayon must be washed first as it shrinks but it does not melt, true 100% Rayon can take a hot iron. Hope this helps, polyester does not shrink but it does melt under a hot iron!

    Gal

  14. #14
    Senior Member sewjean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Brush Creek,TN
    Posts
    380
    I had some black fabric do that when making one for my gs I think the iron was too hot. I just replaced it and used a cooler iron and it was fine. The black fabric was from Joanns.

  15. #15
    Super Member C.Cal Quilt Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Central Ca
    Posts
    2,619
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Cal Quilt Girl
    Ran across the tut for the D9P, cool so lets try... Picked some out of the stash. this I'll work. First layout didn't work for me, so decided to use this way. All's Good and then I noticed: :shock:
    Could this be Rayon, have never had happen before, and whats it going to do when I'm done and laundered. Not pressing any more thats for sure.
    :cry: What do you think ???
    ** Here's an Update **
    Did get finished tonight, ended up hand hemming, after removing the wonky shrunk part of the square, so here is completed photo

    One down and a stack of ufo's to go !!
    Name:  Attachment-103961.jpe
Views: 8
Size:  88.5 KB

  16. #16
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,672
    Blog Entries
    3
    looks great! :thumbup:

    i've had that problem before with fabric. in most cases, the fab was either polyester or a blend. however, i have seen 100% cotton do the same thing. my amateur guess, in the case of cottons, is that it has something to do with the chemical composition of the inks used to print the fabrics.

    i've gotten into the habit of starch-pressing my fabs before i cut into them. i crank my iron to the highest setting and use steam. makes them sooooooo much easier for me to work with. i never thought about it before, but i guess it also fixes that problem before it becomes a problem.

  17. #17
    tooMuchFabric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    1,275
    Blog Entries
    3
    I have that print in another color, and it is very thin, and "acts funny" too.
    I think what I have is also rayon or a blend of some kind, not all cotton.

  18. #18
    Super Member C.Cal Quilt Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Central Ca
    Posts
    2,619
    Quote Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
    I have that print in another color, and it is very thin, and "acts funny" too.
    I think what I have is also rayon or a blend of some kind, not all cotton.
    It was, one of the posts above gave advise on how to tell of it was a blend or cotton, and is a blend, the remainder of the quilt went together well, after cooling the iron off, I don't think anyone will kick it off the end of the bed cause it's a blend or if cold and need to snuggle. :lol: :lol:
    Maybe thats just me.

  19. #19
    Super Member C.Cal Quilt Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Central Ca
    Posts
    2,619
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    looks great! :thumbup:

    i've had that problem before with fabric. in most cases, the fab was either polyester or a blend. however, i have seen 100% cotton do the same thing. my amateur guess, in the case of cottons, is that it has something to do with the chemical composition of the inks used to print the fabrics.

    i've gotten into the habit of starch-pressing my fabs before i cut into them. i crank my iron to the highest setting and use steam. makes them sooooooo much easier for me to work with. i never thought about it before, but i guess it also fixes that problem before it becomes a problem.
    That would have helped a lot!! Thanks for adjusting the title
    :thumbup:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.