Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sticker Shock, took sewing machine in for maintenance >

Sticker Shock, took sewing machine in for maintenance

Sticker Shock, took sewing machine in for maintenance

Old 03-10-2012, 07:07 AM

Both of my Pfaffs are computerized and when i take them in (every year) it cost me $129.00 each, but i have been taking mine to the same man for more than twenty years, his father started his business and when he died the son took it over, but he had been working with his dad since he was little boy. This guy goes over it with a fine tooth and comb, he had to replace a small part, but that was included in the price. So for me its worth it, plus he guarentees his work, he's very fair. And since he took over the store, he had to buy a new store, so he had a building built, added a lot more stock, he sells all kinds of extra feet and parts for various machines, and just recently added on to the store, he also sells old machines, feather weights (nothing sits in his stores) He has over eight thosand bolts of fabrics lots of books and patterns, and always offers all kinds of classes
Old 03-10-2012, 07:43 AM

Thanks for the tips. I guess I will have to call around to find out what general maintenance will cost.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine View Post
They have the little vacuum kit here for ten dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Attachme.../dp/B006BY1AEY

I read somewhere that you shouldn't use the canned air on the bobbin area of computer machines because it blows all the lint INTO your machine and computerized parts are supposed to be kept dust free to work right.
Harbor Freight has those too.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

The most complicated part is knowing how to take off the housing and putting it back. Once the housing is off I can clean and oil all the parts I need to. I don't take off the fly wheel parts off to clean the machine. I found online instructions and you tube videos that show how to remove housing on most machines. I have used too many repairmen that leave me wondering if anything was done other then write the labor ticket.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by be a quilter View Post
May I ask where you got the little vacuum kit? I have been trying to find one and no body seems to know what I am talking about. Thanks!!
I just searched on "mini vacuum kit" and found one at amazon.com for 8.93 and eligible for free shipping(you have to buy a total of $25 to one address to get the free shipping). Usually I've seen them for about $15.

You can also find them at quilt shows(probably the bigger ones).

I love my kit as it really gets into those small spaces so well. I hope you find one.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
The most complicated part is knowing how to take off the housing and putting it back. Once the housing is off I can clean and oil all the parts I need to. I don't take off the fly wheel parts off to clean the machine. I found online instructions and you tube videos that show how to remove housing on most machines. I have used too many repairmen that leave me wondering if anything was done other then write the labor ticket.
Thanks Bella. I will go looking on Youtube for the videos. It surely can't be that hard to remove the housings. Should be just like working on a Vintage machine, take lots of pictures and lay the pieces out in order, make notes, etc.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:50 AM

I clean my own 7300 After I get it apart I use a small air compressor to blow it out.
I watched the tech do it the first time and decided I could do that too.
1 tiny drop of oil on moving parts. In between I use a little attachment for the vacuum cleaner.
Works for me. They wanted $150.00 to do mine. Never again!
Old 03-10-2012, 10:24 AM

Jan, I live in Charlottesville and would love to know where you take your Bernina. After my free check-up on my 440QE this month, I'll be looking for best service in the state, so tell all!
Old 03-10-2012, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by linhawk View Post
I clean my own 7300 After I get it apart I use a small air compressor to blow it out.
I watched the tech do it the first time and decided I could do that too.
1 tiny drop of oil on moving parts. In between I use a little attachment for the vacuum cleaner.
Works for me. They wanted $150.00 to do mine. Never again!
Thanks for the encouraging information Linhawk. YES, I CAN and will do this also.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:25 PM

So far, the most I've paid is $75. I'm certain it would be more if parts were needed.