Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stickers on Fat Quarters

Stickers on Fat Quarters

I was tryng to go thru my Fat Quarters from different stores, and on some of the ones that are from JoAnn's I cannot get the sticky off of the fabric.

Since I was going to use these for a wall hanging that wouldn't get washed, and since they are already cut small, I didn't intend on washing these.

Any suggestions on getting that darn sticky off of the fabric?
    Thanks
    karenSue

Dawn removes grease, I don't know if it would help with sticky residue or not.
    Heather

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by karensue View Post
    I was tryng to go thru my Fat Quarters from different stores, and on some of the ones that are from JoAnn's I cannot get the sticky off of the fabric.

Since I was going to use these for a wall hanging that wouldn't get washed, and since they are already cut small, I didn't intend on washing these.

Thanks
    karenSue
    You might try goo gone. It works on many things but I don't know about fabric. Be sure to check the label.

Blog Entries
    You can try Goo Gone, but I would try it on a small corner first to make sure it doesn't make the colors run.

Don't know how. Can you cut around the sticky part? In any event let Joann's know by emailing the corp office.They need to know that this is an issue and that you are an unhappy customer. Will it help? who know but it can not hurt.

Blog Entries
    Try a magic eraser. They work on lots of things.

Try using alcohol.

Blog Entries
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    Thank you for all the replies, I went to the first post above and
    Prism posted the following and I just tried it - IT WORKS:
    You can try heating it with a hair dryer, then rolling it off with a finger or piece of fabric. Heat softens adhesives used in labels. This is how I usually remove labels as it allows all of the adhesive to come off with the paper. In this case, though, it may not remove all of the adhesive. If so, I would probably move on to using Goo Gone, allowing it so soften the adhesive, then rubbing with a piece of scrap fabric

Quote Originally Posted by karensue View Post
    Thank you for all the replies, I went to the first post above and
    Prism posted the following and I just tried it - IT WORKS:
    You can try heating it with a hair dryer, then rolling it off with a finger or piece of fabric. Heat softens adhesives used in labels. This is how I usually remove labels as it allows all of the adhesive to come off with the paper. In this case, though, it may not remove all of the adhesive. If so, I would probably move on to using Goo Gone, allowing it so soften the adhesive, then rubbing with a piece of scrap fabric
    Thank you for this!! I have some FQ's I got years ago at JoAnn's with that same problem and just filed them in a box......now I know how to clean them up!!

I would just wash them they dont fray to bad in a laundry bag
    Brother XL-3500i, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D, Juki MO-2000QVP

I've had the same problem. Thanks for posting the question, and I will try the hair dryer first. Never thought to notify JA about the problem.
    Sue

Just went thru that over the week-end, same got at JoAnns.

use alcohol, I had a bunch of FQ's that had the same problem. I used alcohol to remove sticker glue from a bowl and it worked, so decided to try it on the FQ's and it also worked like a charm.

Blog Entries
    I had the same problem. Now I "try" the stickers to see if they will peel off (just a corner) before I buy the fat quarter. JoAnn's is using better stickers now that do peel off and I take them off as soon as I get home.

ajw
    I have given up buying JoAnn's fat quarters for that reason alone. For the ones I already have, I pre-treat the area with Spray 'n Wash, put them in a lingerie bag anad toss them in the washer without any additional detergent. It does the trick, but it's a bother if you're working on something that doesn't require or warrant pre-washing.

Yet another reason not to buy fabric from Joann. Support your local quilt shop!
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

I DO NOT buy fat quarters from JoAnn's for that reason alone! I have gotten so many like this - with the sticky stuff really stuck and nothing I could do would remove it.

And this is why I don't buy FQs at Joann's!

vjc

Sticky Remedy on Fabric

Try Grandma's Secret Spot Remover from Hancock Fabric, JoAnns, etc. My daughter worked at Hancock Fabric and the manager told her it will take off gum from clothes. Let me know if it work.

vjc/Vicky

QUOTE=karensue;5712765]I was tryng to go thru my Fat Quarters from different stores, and on some of the ones that are from JoAnn's I cannot get the sticky off of the fabric.

Thanks
    karenSue[/QUOTE]

Goo gone will work, but you do need to try it on a corner first. However, I use a product called Carbona. You can find it at Wal Mart. There are containers of Carbona for ink and crayon, for glue and other goo. I usually have two or three different kinds on hand because it is such a satisfactory product. froggyintexas
    Quote Originally Posted by annthreecats View Post
    You can try Goo Gone, but I would try it on a small corner first to make sure it doesn't make the colors run.

I just iron on the sticker before I try to pull it off. Melts the glue and pulls off easily and completely!!!!

Try vinegar. It also works for getting rid of the 'fold' line and it shouldn't harm your fabric. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    I was going to recommend alcohol or acetone (nail polish remover). I've removed pine pitch from the hood of my truck with acetone.

Name:  t shirt.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  177.2 KBAfter 7 or 8 years of on line classes, my son got his college degree. So I got busy with all his Germany military t- shirts and made him a quilt for the special day. Bless his heart, he cried as I knew hw would. But I was flying by the seat of my pants as to how others make their T-shirt quilts. Anyone?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast