Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Stiff Fabric?

I ordered online extra wide fabric for backing, borders, binding and applique work. The online store has always shipped 100% cotton, but this backing is very stiff. If I had seen this in a store, I would not have bought it. I have washed it once with hopes the fabric would soften up so there is no returning it now.

Did I get 100% cotton? Why is it so stiff?

Blog Entries
    sounds like drapery fabric

Blog Entries
    It may have a lot of sizing in it, and may need to be washed a couple of times. If you are really wondering about the fabric content, you can do a burn test.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-136034-1.htm

I always starch my fabric really stiff before I cut.

Blog Entries
    i love stiff fabric and heavier fabric...i use it so much its hard for me to handle the other light weight cottons.

Blog Entries
    Can you call, ask if the fabric is 100% cotton, give the catalouge number

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    It may have a lot of sizing in it, and may need to be washed a couple of times. If you are really wondering about the fabric content, you can do a burn test.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-136034-1.htm

I always starch my fabric really stiff before I cut.
    Oh no! I will keep that in mind when I start ironing the fabric. I am going to wash it a couple of more times to see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by MissSandra
    i love stiff fabric and heavier fabric...i use it so much its hard for me to handle the other light weight cottons.
    Maybe that is part of my problem. I don't usually use stiff fabric. I am a big Batik fan. Soft, pliable, and easily forgives a crease.

I will give this fabric a try. Who knows...maybe I will like it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    sounds like drapery fabric
    oh, I hope not!

Quote Originally Posted by jmabby
    Can you call, ask if the fabric is 100% cotton, give the catalouge number
    I'm in a bad reception area for our phone service (campground), but I can send an email! :thumbup:

Thanks for your quick responses!

If it is a print, I've come across several lately that the printing seems to just sit on top of the fabric and make it feel different from the usual. I've not found that it makes it hard to work with however.

I bought fabric at Joann's a few years ago that had a stiffness to it. I thought when I washed it the stiffness would go away like sizing. It never did. I washed it numerous times but it felt as though it had a veneer to it, plastic like. I still have it and have never used it.

Quote Originally Posted by mom-6
    If it is a print, I've come across several lately that the printing seems to just sit on top of the fabric and make it feel different from the usual. I've not found that it makes it hard to work with however.
    I have had some prints like that as well. No, it is a marble blend with no print.

Quote Originally Posted by nyelphaba
    I bought fabric at Joann's a few years ago that had a stiffness to it. I thought when I washed it the stiffness would go away like sizing. It never did. I washed it numerous times but it felt as though it had a veneer to it, plastic like. I still have it and have never used it.
    That's what I'm afraid I might do! I'm trying very hard to like this fabric. I really don't want to shop for more or spend more...

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Who is the manufacturer of this fabric? There are several that are cutting the cost of these wide backings (since cotton prices shot up) by using American cottons printed cheaply.

Jan in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Who is the manufacturer of this fabric? There are several that are cutting the cost of these wide backings (since cotton prices shot up) by using American cottons printed cheaply.

Jan in VA
    Hi Jan,
    That's too bad that they have to cut back. There is no info on the selvage and none online.

Here is the description from the online store:

"This vibrant blender is rich with textural qualities and done using a monochromatic palette that is sure to add just the right touch of visual interest to the back and borders of your latest project. Please prewash and allow for up to 7% shrinkage. 108" wide quiltbacking, tonal blender from the 'Quilter's Blenders' collection."

This is one of the first times I have seen the recommendation to prewash fabric. Was that a good hint to the quality of the fabric?

I have been quilting for years, but I have rarely bought online. I have bought from this online store a couple of times so I trusted their products. Of course, all of the old orders have been from a known manufacturer or designer. This is my first extra wide backing.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltinCats

Jan in VA
    Hi Jan,
    That's too bad that they have to cut back. There is no info on the selvage and none online.

"This vibrant blender is rich with textural qualities and done using a monochromatic palette that is sure to add just the right touch of visual interest to the back and borders of your latest project. Please prewash and allow for up to 7% shrinkage. 108" wide quiltbacking, tonal blender from the 'Quilter's Blenders' collection."

This is one of the first times I have seen the recommendation to prewash fabric. Was that a good hint to the quality of the fabric?

I have been quilting for years, but I have rarely bought online. I have bought from this online store a couple of times so I trusted their products. Of course, all of the old orders have been from a known manufacturer or designer. This is my first extra wide backing.
    I asked because it reminded me of some of Marcus Brothers stuff 10-15 years ago. They also make wide backings, but the quality has improved as they've continued to move their production overseas, sadly. Of course, they are also no longer Marcus "Brothers" as this is the home dec and apparel division; Marcus "Fabrics" is the quilting fabric we know.

Sorry you had this experience.

Jan in VA

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltinCats

Jan in VA
    Hi Jan,

I asked because it reminded me of some of Marcus Brothers stuff 10-15 years ago. They also make wide backings, but the quality has improved as they've continued to move their production overseas, sadly. Of course, they are also no longer Marcus "Brothers" as this is the home dec and apparel division; Marcus "Fabrics" is the quilting fabric we know.

Sorry you had this experience.

Jan in VA

I did not know that about the Marcus company.

Oh, I'm not sorry. I received some wonderful advice and I appreciate all of them. I have washed the fabric twice and it is starting to feel a less stiff. I'm going to wash it one more time.

As for ordering online, I will be extra careful and ask more questions next time. Sometimes the LQS just doesn't have that perfect fabric to finish a quilt.

Thanks for your help! And Thanks to everyone else! You have been great!

this product will remove all sizing from the fabric.

its just like soda ash. you can buy it at the supermarket

http://www.armandhammer.com/fabric-c...t-booster.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    this product will remove all sizing from the fabric.

its just like soda ash. you can buy it at the supermarket

http://www.armandhammer.com/fabric-c...t-booster.aspx
    Interesting! I have seen that product on the shelves. I will get some. Thank you!