Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitch in the ditch binding >

Stitch in the ditch binding

Stitch in the ditch binding

Old 12-22-2009, 07:25 AM

Hi Donna.......glad I'm not the only one with "the question". Now we will wait for Klue to help us out!!! :?
Old 12-22-2009, 07:29 AM

I stitch my binding to the back of the quilt and fold it to the front and stitch with the fusible thread in the bobbin. Then I use a zigzag or other decorative stitch. This way the back is as pretty as the front and I can see what I'm doing.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:34 AM

Thanks for explaining. We wouldn't want a more inexperienced quilter not understand that!
Old 12-22-2009, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I use a 2 1/4" binding and sew it with machine to the back of my quilt. Then I pull it around to the front and use a decorative stitch to sew the binding down. I have used scallops, blanket stitch, and stars - whatever suits my fancy. The reason for using a decorative stitch over a straight stitch is twofold. 1. A decorative stitch adds another element of decoration. 2. A decorative stitch hides when you might miss the perfect line.
I used a decorative stitch on quilt and it works great. I wish I thought of that on the one I just finished. well, next one will get a decorative stitch in the binding. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:47 AM

Up until now all my quilts (only five) have been SID; all the bindings have been attached by machine, folded over and hand stitched to finish. As much as I tried, I've never been any good at machine stitching binding or bias strips! This fall my DH bought me a "new to me" used Bernina 730E. I bought a (generic) 2" binding foot for it - or whoa-ez-me - what an invention this is! I used it to bind some quicky fleece blankets for Christmas presents along with the walking foot and you would have thought I'd been doing it forever, they came out so neat and even.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-60111.jpe  
Old 12-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Donna - Batiks
If you bobbin threads washes away what is left to hold the binding on from the back? You would have to stitch with the machine from the front to "hold" the back of the binding on the quilt. If you hand sew the front - the back would eventually come apart...or am I missing something?
it doesn't wash completely away - it just isn't stiff like the typical fusible web that we're all familiar with - my mistake for not being completely clear on that.

then when you sew the binding again you no longer have fusible thread on the machine - you use whatever thread you like in both the top and the bobbin.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:39 AM

So you are saying that when I sew from the front after I have ironed to the fusible thread, that my SID will catch the back edge of the binding and that will be enough to hold it? I'm sorry to be so dense, but I wouldn't want it to wash away. It does not wash away at all???
Old 12-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Banned

your correct it does not all wash away and yes the stitching does catch all the binding edges.

here's a pic of the SITD binding from the front, if you look closely at the binding the SITD is catching the front edge.

SITD binding
[ATTACH=CONFIG]53920[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-53920.jpe  
Old 12-22-2009, 02:00 PM

Oh! That's great!!!! I'm gonna get some of that thread.....And, thanks for the picture. I am a visual person and that really helps..... :D

Any suggestion as to which one of the fusible threads to buy?
Old 12-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wendiq
Oh! That's great!!!! I'm gonna get some of that thread.....And, thanks for the picture. I am a visual person and that really helps..... :D

Any suggestion as to which one of the fusible threads to buy?
i like YLI or Superior fusible thread