Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitch in the ditch binding >

Stitch in the ditch binding

Stitch in the ditch binding

Old 12-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Banned

in case some people don't know,

if you click on the download button by the pics it will open up in another window and you'll be able to magnify the pic and zoom in on different areas to examine the quilt and the stitching.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quilter2B
Up until now all my quilts (only five) have been SID; all the bindings have been attached by machine, folded over and hand stitched to finish. As much as I tried, I've never been any good at machine stitching binding or bias strips! This fall my DH bought me a "new to me" used Bernina 730E. I bought a (generic) 2" binding foot for it - or whoa-ez-me - what an invention this is! I used it to bind some quicky fleece blankets for Christmas presents along with the walking foot and you would have thought I'd been doing it forever, they came out so neat and even.
are you using double fold binding?

do you stitch the binding down first and then use the special binding foot to help fold the binding to the back?

how do you do mitered corners with the binding and the special binding foot?

so basically, i would like to know exactly how you're doing this and if you could post a link or pic of the special binding foot that you use that would be wonderful.

or if you live nearby, put on a pot of coffee and i'll be over with some cake/cookies and a few quilts to bind off :-D
Old 12-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

WOW!!! I have learned so many tips here!!! Thank you all :D:D:D I will never be able to handsew all of my bindings, so this is really appreciated :D:D:D
Old 12-22-2009, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
Up until now all my quilts (only five) have been SID; all the bindings have been attached by machine, folded over and hand stitched to finish. As much as I tried, I've never been any good at machine stitching binding or bias strips! This fall my DH bought me a "new to me" used Bernina 730E. I bought a (generic) 2" binding foot for it - or whoa-ez-me - what an invention this is! I used it to bind some quicky fleece blankets for Christmas presents along with the walking foot and you would have thought I'd been doing it forever, they came out so neat and even.

do you stitch the binding down first and then use the special binding foot to help fold the binding to the back?

so basically, i would like to know exactly how you're doing this and if you could post a link or pic of the special binding foot that you use that would be wonderful.

or if you live nearby, put on a pot of coffee and i'll be over with some cake/cookies and a few quilts to bind off :-D

I need answers too! :D :D :D :D
Old 12-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sewjoyce

I need answers too! :D :D :D :D

ok, you bring coffee cake and i'll bring the cookies :-D
Old 12-22-2009, 07:44 PM

Sounds good to me!! :D
Old 12-22-2009, 08:05 PM
Banned

i'm going to be binding a quilt about the 2nd week of january.

i'll take pics thru the entire process and post a tute when i'm done.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:48 AM

FANTASTIC.......I will be watching for it!!! Thanks.... :-)
Old 12-23-2009, 08:36 AM

I cut my strips 2" wide and piece them for a length long enough for what I need. I've only tried corners once and wasn't happy with the result (it will take some more practice) so I just did each side and then finished the corners by hand. I feed my strip into the attachment and it will fold and stitch onto the blanket/quilt as it is fed by the walking foot. I saw a video online and feel in love with it (the generic's are inexpensive - I got mine on eBay); I'm trying to remember what website it was on; if i come across it as I'm working my brain :? I'll post it. In the meantime here is a quicky from the bernina website - it really doesn't show much but you can get an idea of how it works:

http://www.berninausa.com/webautor-d...achment-84.wmv

Here's a pic of my generic foot; it is a bit bulkier than bernina's but it does the job!

Here is the link I was talking about - this website is a wealth of information :lol:

http://www.thequiltshow.com/bernina/301.html
Attached Thumbnails attachment-58579.jpe  
Old 12-23-2009, 09:03 AM

I have the generic binder attachments but could never figure out how they worked....maybe it's time I got them back out and tried again :lol: :lol: I wonder how all my quilts will look with rounded corners??? :lol: :lol: