Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
stitch in ditch sewing foot >

stitch in ditch sewing foot

stitch in ditch sewing foot

Old 11-06-2010, 07:31 AM

Echo stitching is a great remedy when you have trouble staying in the ditch. Also practice, practice, practice. Remember to have fun, and relax.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:38 AM

This exactly why I bought my older Pfaff with the IDT. Now I can put other feet on and still have the walking foot. It was $200 well spent on ebay. I am still a Viking girl at heart, but the IDT is important to me when quilting. So easy to just pull it down and quilt away.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:47 AM

Boy this makes me feel better. I was beginning to think I was doing it wrong. All the years of sewing other stuff, stitching in the ditch threw me. Now I am venturing into free motion,

Sharon
Old 11-06-2010, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Berta48
You are suppose to stitch just on one side close to the seam not directly in it.That is what I was told anyway.Then if you put the black bar on the side of the seam really close it should go in the ditch? Hope this helps!
This is also my understanding. If you stitch right on top of the seam, you weaken the seam itself.

Great thread!
Old 11-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

SID foot always came included with older machine accessories. It's called Edge Joining foot. It was one of those feet no one actually used that much. Now quilters have discovered it for following a straight line.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
SID foot always came included with older machine accessories. It's called Edge Joining foot. It was one of those feet no one actually used that much. Now quilters have discovered it for following a straight line.
Yes, you are right. Now they charge extra for it as it is now a "Speciality" foot. Boy they get you coming and going!!!
Old 11-06-2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by featherweight
The decorative stitches work wonders with the SID foot.
Great idea! I'll have to try that! I've been quilting for many years and always avoid SID because, no matter how hard I try (even WITH the SID foot) I always manage to spill over out of the ditch, exacdtly where it will show the most. grrrr. :D
Old 11-06-2010, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbin along
Originally Posted by featherweight
The decorative stitches work wonders with the SID foot.
Great idea! I'll have to try that! I've been quilting for many years and always avoid SID because, no matter how hard I try (even WITH the SID foot) I always manage to spill over out of the ditch, exacdtly where it will show the most. grrrr. :D
That is exactly why I use the decorative stitch. It doesn' need to be a very wide one either, just enough to help us out of our rut!!!
Old 11-06-2010, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
I've thought of buying a SID foot but don't understand - a walking foot is pretty much required when quilting, is it not? The SID foot doesn't fit a walking foot! (And it's good to know others wander from the ditch like me!)
That is true. Some companies make a convertible walking foot now. I bought my Janome 6600 because of the built in walking foot and my plan to get the SITD foot for it but then after reading about it not being any easier, I decided not to get it. But right before I bought it I was looking for the Janome convertible walking foot with no luck and right after I bought it, the darn thing was being sold everywhere. Go figure.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:22 PM

thanks every body for the suggestions. I'll try going slower and maybe a decrative stich. the bottom is a multi blue. the top is a lot of mish mosh colors. so what color do I use to complement each side? Thanks