Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: stitch in ditch sewing foot

I guess i was born with crooked genes because no mater how hard i try i can't sew a striat line. Most of my quilting is s stitch in the ditch. So i bought a sitd sewing foot. i run the blade right down the the seam. But im still off track. it runs about a 1/16thto 1/8th off the ditch. do you set the foot some how ? what am i doing wrong . why wont my ding dang darn stitches stay in the ditch?

Blog Entries
    I am still learning how to SITD and have a foot like you described. I read somewhere (don't remember where, though!) to gently pull on the seams as you stitch through them. I think it caused the thread to sink down in the seam and not be noticable??? My brain was fuzzy last night to asthma problems and I may not have remembered correctly.

I just got a new sitd foot the beginning of summer. I already killed it. Just go slow when you are stitching. I've learned to do it without that thingy. It's frustrating. I even tried the clear thread, but that was hard to see when threading the machine. And it's hard enough trying to get thread through that ity bity hole. If you go slow then areas where the seams may cross may be where you are going off a little. But there's no quilt police, so unless you absolute hate it, no one else will notice.

I find it extremely hard to keep all the stitches in the ditch which, since that is pretty much all I can do at the moment, is pretty frustrating.

However, I just finished a baby quilt in Minkee and that stuff is marvelous for hiding any quilting irregularities :wink: My SID foot just loved it :lol:

Blog Entries
    I usually move my needle position to where I want it when I SITD. Really helps me.

I just ordered more "feet" (lol) for my sewing machine and the SID is one of them. Hope I like it. Another is the 1/4 seam foot... I know I'll love it. I have done some SID without the foot and I agree that you just have to go slow. And, practice makes perfect. I haven't sewn in years until a few weeks ago and was really rusty when I first started back. I can really see improvement with time and practice, so don't give up!

When I stitch in the ditch I use a gentle serpentine stitch. That way if it isn't perfect you can't tell.

The decorative stitches work wonders with the SID foot.

You are suppose to stitch just on one side close to the seam not directly in it.That is what I was told anyway.Then if you put the black bar on the side of the seam really close it should go in the ditch? Hope this helps!

Don't stitch in the ditch. Solves that problem. As above said use a serpentine or decorative stitch.

Blog Entries
    Stitch in the Ditch is only a term....I don't think anybody can actually do perfect stitches in the ditch of a seam line. Calm down...nobody expects them to be perfect...no one!!!!

Blog Entries
    I use a very slim zigzag that catches each side of the seam. I find it looks great and it's much easier to stay on the line. Also I line up the front groove of whatever foot I'm using and "drive along" that way.

Blog Entries
    I can't stitch in the ditch so I just do a shadow kind of thing if I want my quilting to follow the blocks.

Blog Entries
    I can't STID for the life of me...couldn't stay in the ditches. Anyway, I use a certain mark on my walking foot for a guide and echo/shadow stitch, approx 1/4 - 3/8" outside the seams...they still aren't very straight but it doesn't seem to be as noticable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lnikkers52
    I guess i was born with crooked genes because no mater how hard i try i can't sew a striat line. Most of my quilting is s stitch in the ditch. So i bought a sitd sewing foot. i run the blade right down the the seam. But im still off track. it runs about a 1/16thto 1/8th off the ditch. do you set the foot some how ? what am i doing wrong . why wont my ding dang darn stitches stay in the ditch?
    I don't know of anyone who is perfect at this every time. Most of the time we all manage to wander out of the ditch. Unless it's a long way off I've learned to let it go. Whoever you give the quilt to won't be looking for mistakes. If anyone was so rude as to mention it take the quilt back and give it to some one who will appreciate it.
    I have a SITD foot for my walking foot of my 6600 but never use it. I feel I do better on my own. Just keep quilting and don't get too bent out of shape by minor matters.
    If it really bothers you make a few charity quilts to practice on. The people who get them won't mind a few stitches out of the ditch.

I too had problems with this foot.... I now use a open toe foot and have much better luck..... I can see where the needle is going and the line on the foot is more accurate than the blade ever was....

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    I've thought of buying a SID foot but don't understand - a walking foot is pretty much required when quilting, is it not? The SID foot doesn't fit a walking foot! (And it's good to know others wander from the ditch like me!)

You can easily go "in and out" of the ditch, even with a special foot. The special foot helps and going slow too, but I like the other ladies suggestions to use a slight decorative stitch. I can't wait to try it. Sounds like a great idea.

I find I have better luck when using my SID foot if I look where the blade is going and not where the needle is going.
    It took me a long time to train myselkf to do this but I have good luck with this method. Just keep practicing and you will find your nitch. Whatever works for you is the correct way to do it.

I use the SITD foot with my Pfaff(IDT) and place my hands on either side of the seam pulling it tight. Stitch with medium speed and you will be fairly accurate. I find slow stitching causes more problems than medium speed. There are no quilt police and if it's a little off remember the galloping horse statement. LOL!

Echo stitching is a great remedy when you have trouble staying in the ditch. Also practice, practice, practice. Remember to have fun, and relax.

This exactly why I bought my older Pfaff with the IDT. Now I can put other feet on and still have the walking foot. It was $200 well spent on ebay. I am still a Viking girl at heart, but the IDT is important to me when quilting. So easy to just pull it down and quilt away.

Boy this makes me feel better. I was beginning to think I was doing it wrong. All the years of sewing other stuff, stitching in the ditch threw me. Now I am venturing into free motion,

Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by Berta48
    You are suppose to stitch just on one side close to the seam not directly in it.That is what I was told anyway.Then if you put the black bar on the side of the seam really close it should go in the ditch? Hope this helps!
    This is also my understanding. If you stitch right on top of the seam, you weaken the seam itself.

Great thread!

Blog Entries
    SID foot always came included with older machine accessories. It's called Edge Joining foot. It was one of those feet no one actually used that much. Now quilters have discovered it for following a straight line.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast