Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitch in the Ditch? >

Stitch in the Ditch?

Stitch in the Ditch?

Old 10-26-2012, 06:49 AM

Default Stitch in the Ditch?

Good morning everyone!

I am trying to stitch in the ditch with my new machine (a Singer Quantum Stylist 9960) and I have been experiencing difficulties selecting the correct foot to use. I have what is called a stitch in the ditch foot but I can't figure out how to use it, the opening of the foot does not allow me to use a "normal stitch", I have to move my needle to the left because the opening won't allow a normal center stitch. Do you guys have any suggestions or input? I also have a walking foot which I don't know if that will stitch in the ditch correctly or not. Thanks for reading!!

Jamie C.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:58 AM

When I quilt, no matter which stitch pattern I use, I need to use a walking foot. A lot of machines have a special walking foot with a small "blade-like" on the bottom which is suposed to be kept in the ditch and thereby make it easier to sew more evenly. Frankly, I just eyeball it and use my regular walking foot (I didn't get the special stitch-in-the-ditch one until recently and I'm an "old dog" with a new trick).
Old 10-26-2012, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

​I use my walking foot for my Bernina when doing SITD. My Bernina came with 2 different plates for the walking foot and I use the open one so I can see where to stitch. A walking foot helps to move all the layers of the quilt sandwich to move together.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

The walking foot would be my choice. It keeps the layers moving at the same rate and averts puckers. When you SID, align the foot so the needle runs along the LOW side of the seam. (that is the ditch) Go slow and hold one hand on each side of the seam so you can help guide the seam (pull the seam gently apart so you can see the seam better). When you get to a corner where the low side is opposite the side you are sewing on, simply sew to the corner and guide the needle to the other side. Continue sewing in the ditch. Hope this helps (and makes sense).
Old 10-26-2012, 12:05 PM

Thanks everyone! I'm going to experiment this evening! Happy sewing!
Old 10-27-2012, 05:43 AM

I use my regular sewing foot. I line up the seam with the middle of the foot and it works like a charm. You don't watch the needle, you keep the seam lined up with the middle of the foot. I have a Pfaff so it has a built in walking foot. It does take a little practice but it works great.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:07 AM

I'm waiting for Vikings new SID foot to come in. It goes with the interchangable walking foot that they came out with last yr. It has a wider hole so that you can use twin needles and stitch on both sides of the ditch. Can't wait for that call to come in saying it's here.