Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitch in a ditch >

Stitch in a ditch

Stitch in a ditch

Old 02-25-2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Blockhead
See if you can get a stitch-in-the-ditch foot for your machine. They are brilliant!

It has a small bar on the front which pushes aside the fabric next to the seam, the needle hits the ditch dead on and the fabric folds back over it. Voila - invisible ditch stitching.
What happens if you get to an intersection and the seam is pressed the other way? Does it matter which side of the foot the "hump" is on?
Old 02-25-2010, 05:12 PM

The foot stays in the ditch, whichever side the seam is pressed to. It works best if your seams are properly butted.

My foot is for a Pfaff, and it works really well. Don't know about other brands, especially generic ones, but I would assume they all function on the same principal.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:16 PM

[quote=Blockhead]See if you can get a stitch-in-the-ditch foot for your machine. They are brilliant!

that sounds amazing! i'll have to see if i can get one for my machine. SITD is so hard sometimes! Never fails that i'm over in the left lane half the time!!HAHA :lol:
Old 02-26-2010, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by skavanau
Well thats a good idea, I never thouht of that Thanks. Ill have a glass of wine and then " Let the curves begin".
lol
Old 02-26-2010, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Blockhead
The foot stays in the ditch, whichever side the seam is pressed to. It works best if your seams are properly butted.

My foot is for a Pfaff, and it works really well. Don't know about other brands, especially generic ones, but I would assume they all function on the same principal.
Do you have the same luck on a thicker intersection? Say for instance many points meeting in the center.

I have a Viking. They have a new walking foot that has snap in feet, STID being one. I haven't bought it yet because it's over $100! I think about it, but when I consider how much fabric I can buy for that, the fabric always wins! :)
Old 02-26-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by skavanau
This is my first time and Id like to know if there is a video for this. I did it last night and I dont know if you have to line up with anything or just eye ball it. It turned out ok, but I didnt know how hard it is to go straight.
I did view a great tutorial on it but if I kept the link, can't find it. You need to press the seams going in one direction. It is recommended that you purchase a quilt in the ditch foot and using the guide on the foot, take your time, and you can do a good job of stitching in the ditch - I'm also learning to do this. I have the Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0 and it is working well. Each time I do it, there is improvement and my current quilt (#5) is the best. It does take practice and I found that the printing tip was a real key for me as I used to be lax with pressing. As a hand quilter, it really didn't matter with some patterns but now I press and press well. Good luck and enjoy.
Patty