Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitch In The Ditch >

Stitch In The Ditch

Stitch In The Ditch

Old 03-18-2010, 01:19 PM

If your machine has an adjustable needle and you don't want to invest in a SID foot, you can 'click' the needle just to the left and then line up the center of your foot (assuming there is a mark) with your seam and just concentrate on keeping your seam lined up.

I also use this to get a scant 1/4" seam when piecing (because I like my open toe foot best) - couple of clicks to the right, line my fabric up with the outside edge of the foot and voila - a perfect (well, as perfect as I can get) seam. I like easy!!!!!
Old 03-18-2010, 02:04 PM

I've seen a number of quilts that use an easy decorative stitch instead of SITD (even a variety of stitches). Something that won't use up too much thread but still look lovely on the quilt.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 03-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bodie358
You are too funny! I always look forward to seeing your avatar in a thread. I need to come hang out with you!
Yeah, that's me - comic relief. As long as I remember that this is a family show, I guess I get to stay. My humor has a natural tendency to go straight to the gutter (which might be OK in a thread about ditches).
Old 03-18-2010, 02:34 PM

NO NO NO NO wavy lines!!!!! You know what "they" say Practice practice practicEE
Old 03-18-2010, 02:43 PM

I was also told to stay to the low side. The opposite side from where the fabric is ironed. I hope that made sense.. I also use Machinger gloves. I didn't think it would make that big a difference but it does. They help you easily grip and gingerly spread the seam apart so you can sew in the ditch. I've tried a lot of the other gloves, but the Machingers work the best.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I forogt to tell you that I don't relly SID - I MAD (meander around the ditch) lol. If I have more than one glass of wine, it is FID (fall in ditch).
i love that meander idea...i tried sid with my first grandbaby's quilt & decided that the leaf stitch on my machine was much better!
Old 03-18-2010, 03:36 PM

Thanks to this forum I recently used SID with my foot that I only used to making a blind hem. It works great!! Is that the SID foot everyone is talking about?
Old 03-18-2010, 03:37 PM

I am better at SID than I was. Ain't no good, but better.

My SID quilt work looks better than my other styles of FMQ.

My suggestions are the same as most everyone who commented.

Summary:

-Whichever technique, slow way down until you get good(er) at it.
-Use Machinger-gloves, some kind of finger cots (pet hair removal gloves are great!) to help take some stress off your hands and fingers.
-Spread the fabric from side-to-side a bit while moving it under the needle but don't stretch your fabric out of shape.
-Don't stretch your fingers open to much, so your hands don't cramp! Spread left hand from right hand.
-I use the SID foot for my Viking and I sometimes use the walking foot to SID, depends on the quilt sandwich.
-Stitch on the side of the seam, just a thread or two away from the seam-thread . . . if you can, if not . . . don't sweat it.

The last comment is not suitable for every quilt-temperament, it may drive you to drink your way into the other ditch with Madquilter and myself!

Use a Bigger needle with a Bigger eye if you can, but make sure it is sharp.
-This will move the needle tip off of the seam-thread.
-Watch the side of the needle and not the actual tip.
-Try to brush the needle against the fold of the high-side fabric without catching the tip of the needle in the side of the folded fabric. This acts as a distance-from-seam-thread measure.

Yes, if you change hand-spread-tension, you will change distance from seam thread and your SID will look like it has wandered a tiny bit.

Told you, this idea may not be to everyone's liking, but helps me get a better SID without freaking out about precision.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:20 PM

This is called for hearty laugh. Thanks for the humor.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:20 AM

If you have decorative stitches on your machine you could use one of them.