Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitch and Flip Corner Methods >

Stitch and Flip Corner Methods

Stitch and Flip Corner Methods

Old 07-30-2022, 09:33 AM

Default Stitch and Flip Corner Methods

I'm planning on making a large quilt made up of 5" x 9" rectangle blocks with stitch and flip (or folded) corners - similar to flying geese but done on both ends of the rectangle. There was a recent thread ISO an older Tula Pink pattern called Pancakes and while searching for it I fell in love with a picture of one made in all teal/aqua - so here I go!

My question: Which method and/or ruler do you prefer for adding the folded corners? And why?

I'm familiar with several methods and rulers but it's been awhile since I've had to make 250-300 of these blocks. I'm thinking either the exact cut squares (which produce the wasted tip) or triangles (should have less waste). With the triangles I can cut over-sized and trim down if I need to.

I'm a stickler when cutting fabric and sewing a scant 1/4" seam but my folded corners never seem to come out accurate or I lose my point. I don't have an AccuQuilt but recently picked-up the Stripology XL ruler which I think will help.

I'm curious what method you all prefer - thanks for the input!

Last edited by TheMerkleFamily; 07-30-2022 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:53 AM

Of all the methods I prefer doing folded corners with my Creative Grids folded corner clipper, no wasted fabric and far more accurate IMHO.

https://youtu.be/cpSZ6lqvc34
Old 07-30-2022, 01:33 PM

I prefer the square sewn to the corner and the excess cut off. I know it wastes fabric, but it comes out so exact that way. I fold and press my diagonal rather than draw a line. I sew two threads off the fold toward the corner. That allows the fold to use up a little space.
Old 07-30-2022, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

I can draw a line on a square and sew and still have wonky corners. I use the Folded corners ruler. Several different brands out now. They all work fine.
Old 07-30-2022, 03:40 PM

I’m a Deb Tucker fan and use the Corner Pop tool.

https://youtu.be/yT90-grvAH8
Old 07-31-2022, 11:00 AM

Julie at The Crafty Quilter just did a review on 3 stitch and flip tools. See it here: The Stitch and Flip Quilting Method using specialty rulers
Old 07-31-2022, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I had watched Julie at the Crafty Quilter's review earlier and I happen to own all three of those tools but only have the Creative Grids Folded Corner Clipper on hand (the others are boxed up and in storage).

The blocks I'm making are rather large and the seams must all meet up properly to create the intended design. I will make a few test blocks with the CG's tool but do wish I had the Deb Tucker Corner Pop tool with me because it's larger/longer with extended guide lines that line-up along the edge of the tall base block. For this size block I think that would be helpful (along with accurate measuring/cutting of the fabric).

In the end, I agree with Judy at The Crafty Quilter - I like all three of the tools for different reasons.
Old 07-31-2022, 03:56 PM

Default Stitch & Flip corner methods

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
Of all the methods I prefer doing folded corners with my Creative Grids folded corner clipper, no wasted fabric and far more accurate IMHO.

https://youtu.be/cpSZ6lqvc34
I use the Creative Grids folded corner clipper also. Very accurate, & no marking.
Old 07-31-2022, 04:26 PM

I have both sizes of Creative Grids folded corner clippers and like them both. They are easy to use and very accurate without all the line drawing.
Old 07-31-2022, 05:18 PM

I just finished a quilt top (Tula Pink's Pining for you) that has snowballed corners, with great success. I tried the CG ruler and was not satisfied. Instead I drew my diagonal sew lines on the back of the large focus fabric, not on the little patches that can easily shift. This way I know exactly were the corners will touch. I have also taken to using this method for flying geese. No more wobbly geese for me.