Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitch regulator burnout >

Stitch regulator burnout

Stitch regulator burnout

Old 06-14-2023, 11:49 AM

Default Stitch regulator burnout

It seems as if my stitch regulator has gone bonkers. This regulator may only be 3 years old and not used much because of a back injury I had and was unable to do much sewing/quilting. From November 2022 until April 2023 it was not used at all as my machine which is used on the 3 season porch was brought into the house and sat unused. Machine has been cleaned and oiled, everything plugged back in according to directions and it's moving as slow as molasses and jumping stitches. This is my second Grace Stitch Regulator in 6 years. A new Grace Sure Stitch Elite Stitch Regulator is on sale for $689. Has anyone else had problems with their regulators not lasting? I don't want to do only straight line quilting for the rest of my quilting time, but it seems as if I'm putting money down the drain again. What do you say??
Old 06-14-2023, 04:23 PM

Call Lynn and Kathy Barlow of Kathy Quilts. They're very helpful! https://kathyquilts.com/ Their contact info is at the bottom of the page.
Old 06-14-2023, 05:07 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
It seems as if my stitch regulator has gone bonkers. This regulator may only be 3 years old and not used much because of a back injury I had and was unable to do much sewing/quilting. From November 2022 until April 2023 it was not used at all as my machine which is used on the 3 season porch was brought into the house and sat unused. Machine has been cleaned and oiled, everything plugged back in according to directions and it's moving as slow as molasses and jumping stitches. This is my second Grace Stitch Regulator in 6 years. A new Grace Sure Stitch Elite Stitch Regulator is on sale for $689. Has anyone else had problems with their regulators not lasting? I don't want to do only straight line quilting for the rest of my quilting time, but it seems as if I'm putting money down the drain again. What do you say??
have you tried unplugging both the regulator into the machine and the encoder connections? I had that problem only to find the connections on the encoders were loose. I have had mine since 2016 and it still works. Although I recently upgraded to a Qnique 15pro so mine is boxed up. If you are in a bind I could let you use mine. I am in your neighborhood……
Old 06-15-2023, 02:03 AM

Oreo1912....yes, I've unplugged the machine, and the encoders and then plugged in again. It's frustrating to say the least. Thank you for the offer of loaning me yours, but I'm not really in a bind right now...simply want it working again. Husband says to go ahead and order a new Elite Regulator....I just may have to bite the bullet.
Old 06-15-2023, 07:16 PM

Another thing to check is make sure your encoder wheels and carriage wheels are clean of debris. It’s amazing how much lint and small thread pcs can get in those wheel grooves and cause the encoders to go wonky. Also check the wire that goes into the encoder connector, I had one with a partially broken wire so it was wonky. I spliced it and taped it up with good ole electric tape and all was good. You might also see if you can send it to Grace for repair before you buy new. If they don’t Kathy’s quilts might.
Or see if Shields sewing center here in Dav might look at it. If it is something simple you might save yourself some money. For that price I’d want to make sure it was truly dead first.
Old 06-16-2023, 02:29 AM

oreo1912...Thanks for your tips. But it still won't work properly. I've reset the brain, cleaned the rails, replugged everything in, checked wires, yadda yadda. So I bit the bullet and ordered a new one which is suppose to be the new & improved model with more bells and whistles on it. I may have to sell some fabric or machines to help pay for it, but if all else fails after that I'll be ordering the Qnique 15 Pro also.
Old 06-16-2023, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
oreo1912...Thanks for your tips. But it still won't work properly. I've reset the brain, cleaned the rails, replugged everything in, checked wires, yadda yadda. So I bit the bullet and ordered a new one which is suppose to be the new & improved model with more bells and whistles on it. I may have to sell some fabric or machines to help pay for it, but if all else fails after that I'll be ordering the Qnique 15 Pro also.
I got mine as a factory recertified to save money. It does fit on the SR2 frame but it is a tight fit. Next up I would like to get the new grace evolution frame. Hopefully my SR2 will hold up until the newness wears off the evolution and they start discounting them. Since I have the 15pro I have that investment already paid for. I am still working on the tension. Having trouble using different color thread on top and bottom which I did all the time with my PQ1500 with no problem. But the class M bobbins hold like 2.5 times as much as the class L…boy is that nice. Now I wind 3 bobbins in lieu of 15.