Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Stitch Regulator?

Stitch Regulator?

I have been playing around with my Juki98E on a Grace Frame.
    I do have a speed regulator which has helped me a lot.
    I do pretty good when meandering the stitches. Everyone once in a while I catch myself getting carried away.
    The question I have is it worth the money to spend $500.00 for the stitch regulator?
    I don't know anything about them.
    Hoping someone can advise me on this.
    Thanks everyone.

The problem is that not all stitch regulators are created equal. Some do a very good job of keeping your stitches even, and others not so much. A domestic machine can only go so fast (in terms of stitches per minute), so chances are you will always be able to outrun a stitch regulator.

It isn't worth it to me, but some people think they are wonderful! I don't mind doing LOTS of practice without the regulator

IMO, chances are you need practice, not a regulator.

I agree with Skittl1321. I've always felt that stitch regulators were much ado about nothing.

I chose not to pay the $1,000 for the Tru Stitch with my Sweet Sixteen. That is a whole lotta fabric instead. I'm happy to spend the time practicing and playing. For me it is more about moving the quilt comfortably around the table.

Cheers, K

Thanks everyone. You just saved me $500.00 dollars and a lot of regret. You guys are the best.

It just takes a lot of practice to learn without one. If you can find that comfortable speed on your DSM, observe the speed that the foot feeds the quilt thru then hit that speed when doing free motion so you know the speed in which to move the quilt thru at a constant speed. Always be sure to look ahead of where you want to go NOT at the needle. Try NOT to stop on a curve but plan where to stop and reposition. Just like driving.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Like CorgiNole, I passed on the Tru Stitch when I bought my Tiara this past weekend. I didn't like the sound of it or the surge of it. If I have to practice to use the regulator, I'd rather practice without the regulator and save the $1,000. It seemed rather "hokey" to me. I can't wait to get my new machine, but I have to wait for my husband to get back into town next week to help me get it home and set it up.

With stitch regulators you have to keep a consistent speed but they do work, Its doesn't make your FMQ look like a professional did it but it does make your stitches look uniform, but it is not necessary but I am learning to love mine little by little, to me they are better at when you are doing an overall design but if you are doing intricate work, not as much to me
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Blog Entries
    I am opposite of everyone else. I love my stitch regulator on my Brother!!!! I did not pay that much for it and probably would not have either. But I got my regulator for much less.

Quote Originally Posted by Kani View Post
    I have been playing around with my Juki98E on a Grace Frame.
    I do have a speed regulator which has helped me a lot.
    I do pretty good when meandering the stitches. Everyone once in a while I catch myself getting carried away.
    The question I have is it worth the money to spend $500.00 for the stitch regulator?
    I don't know anything about them.
    Hoping someone can advise me on this.
    Thanks everyone.

Blog Entries
    I bought one for my Brothers and I feel it was a waste of money. Practice is all you need. I'm going to try and sell it. I never use it.

I have a Juki 98E with a Quilter's Cruise control. The Cruise control does a good job for me and I have practiced a lot. Here is where I feel the advantage is to having this unit. Without spending lots of time practicing anyone can quilt immediately. This machine is in my home and I can use it when I want to. My friends (dear quilty friends) don't have a quilting machine. They can come to my house and with a little instruction on threading and how the machine moves..they can quilt also. Even my little friend who is 10 years old can quilt on it. She has been doing so for over a year. Guess what I am saying is I like it and can share my machine and we can all quilt even though we haven't all had a lot of practice.

I have the sure stitch on my grace frame. I don't think I could have practiced enough to get the results I get with the regulator.
    Jo
    Happy Days!!! I am retired and have fabric and a sewing machine...what could be better than that?