Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Stitch Regulators

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
    You might want to look at a Brother ( and other machines may do this, too) where you can control the speed with a push of a button and it stays the same speed, rather than your controlling it with your foot pedal. Not exactly a stitch regulator, but it takes one variable out of the FMQ process, and seems to make controlling your stitching easier.
    The Viking Sapphire 875Q has a speed button with about 5 settings. When doing FMQ, I set it to either 2 or 3 for a nice slow speed. Then I only have to concentrate on moving the quilt. It helps a lot and works for people like me who can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

Blog Entries
    I say "go for the stitch regulator" and choose a new machine only if you can't get a regulator for it. I have a Gammill that came with the stitch regulator and it is the best thing that ever happened to me in my quilting experience. But it took a ton of money (and was a Christmas gift from DH 4 or 5 years ago). If you are accustomed to quilting with your personal sewing machine, my comment would be just adding the stitch regulator to it would be the least expensive thing to add to it for you to do your quilting. That in itself is going to require another learning session. I have never tried using a home sewing machine to quilt (only on a place mat with straight lines stitching) and did not like it at all. I had all kinds of wonky edges when I finished, and had to trim my finished place mat way down.....Good luck as you work your way through this decision. Sincerely, Jo Ann
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

Banned
    If you have an opportunity to go to one of the larger quilt shows (there are others around the country besides Houston and Paducah--check to see which ones might be reasonable for you to travel to) you can visit with the representatives of the companies that make basically all the machines known to humankind. I have a Juki 98Q that fits into a Gracie frame, though I don't have the frame. I already had the Juki and almost bought the frame but then didn't--I don't really have anyplace to keep something large like this set up. But I was able to practice with the whole assembly, which included a stitch regulator that worked with this system. You can buy these Juki machines (mine is the 98Q, there is the 2010, and a whole additional series of Jukis that I think would also work with this system), The frame of course can't handle anything with a deeper throat that those Jukls, which is about 9 inches, but all in all it looked like it worked very well. You can buy the Juki machines of this type (straight stitch and reverse only, no zigzag, but powerhouses) used very often, frequently for $500 or so. If you do very large quilts, queens or kings for example, this this setup might not be for you but it looked sweet to me. But in general I'd try to make a trip to a quilt show where all the different makes of machines are there and eager to sell one of their machines to you. All of them will let you try the various models out for hours if you want to before you buy.

I have one on my Sweet 16. I don't like it. It's jerky and the changing speed (keeping up with me) drives me crazy. I am just learning to do it myself. Not perfect but that's OK.

·What does a clock do when it's hungry? It goes back four seconds.

Suz
    I presently presently a Bernina 830 that has a BSR (Bernina stitch regulator) and would recommend the Bernina as well as the 450. I purchased both used. Bernina is a quality machine and I think with the BSR your stitches will improve. I also find that I cannot FMQ w/o my gloves with the nubbies to grip the quilt. The gloves are available at the LQS.

My local dealer is great about trade ins. And Bernina corp. has a plan that for many months, you can have interest free credit for your purchase. Ask about both.

BabyLock just released their Tru Stitch Regulator which fits many machines in the Babylock line. MSRP is $1500. You do need to have a Babylock machine that this will fit. I am very anxious to hear from anyone who has purchased the stitch regulator to here some reviews on it. I feel it is quite pricey however if it would help me with my FMQ I'm willing to save up for it. This will be an interesting read to follow.
    ~Sheriann~💖 BabyLock Ellisimo 💖 Husqvarna Viking Designet 1ESS 💖 BabyLock Imagine 💖 Janome Jem Platinum 760 ♥ Beloved Gram's 1924 Singer Treadle 💖 1937 & 1953 Singer Featherweights #IAMSEWBLESSED ♥

I have a Bernina with the stitch regulator. I have not had time to really pratice, but I find that you have to guide your fafric in sync with the stitching--some of my stitches are "toe-tail hangers" and some are piled up! In other words, your stitch length is determined by the movement of the fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    As far as I know, the Bernina is the only domestic sewing machine that has a stitch regulator.
    The Baby Lock Ellisimo Gold just added a stitch regulator as an option. I have an Ellisimo Gold and I have tried the stitch regulator. I like it better than the Bernina BSR that I tried a couple of years ago. The BL stitch regulator works a lot smoother. Having said that, I'm sure the Bernina BSR has probably been improved since I tried it. I opted not to get the stitch regulator for my Ellisimo Gold because DH thinks I would be better satisfied with the Baby Lock Crown Jewel mid arm. The bad news is that we have to practically rearrange our whole house to make room for it. lol We will move the guest room downstairs to what was our son's bedroom until he married. Since that time, it has been a storage room, since we don't really need 4 bedrooms for 2 people---Unless we are using them for sewing/quilting/embroidery rooms. Our daughter's room was converted to a computer room for DH after she married and moved out. It now also has a 10 needle embroidery machine in it. DH does all our design digitizing. After we move the guest room downstairs, we will move my sewing center cabinet into the old guest room. That will make room for the Crown Jewel in my sewing studio. It is going to take a while to get all this done. Hopefully we will accomplish it by spring. It gives me something to look forward to.
    Last edited by nstitches4u; 01-13-2013 at 12:39 PM.

I thought Pfaff came out with a stitch regulator about 15 years ago. I am not sure, though.

Quote Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
    I thought Pfaff came out with a stitch regulator about 15 years ago. I am not sure, though.
    That was the built in dual feed system (walking foot), not stitch regulator. It works great for all fabrics, but doesn't do stitch regulation.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtnquiltinglady View Post
    I say "go for the stitch regulator" and choose a new machine only if you can't get a regulator for it. I have a Gammill that came with the stitch regulator and it is the best thing that ever happened to me in my quilting experience.
    I don't own a longarm, but from my experience with one - I would never get one without a regulator. For a sit down, however, I think the regulators are more trouble than they are worth. I did not like it at all.

Bernina had a holiday coupon for the BSR for $700, so anyone interested in it should watch for sales- it is very expensive at full price!
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 01-14-2013 at 09:40 AM.

Blog Entries
    I have a Bernina 440QE with the stitch regulator and I could not go without it there are 2 settings for it one stops when your hands stop moving that one does beep when you go to fast to make a nice curve the other setting does not stop until the machine is turned off I use that one the most since I have gotten use to it I even free motion embroidery with it now any stamped pattern I love doing dish towels check with a Bernina dealer as the 440 has been replced and you may find one being traded in

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2