Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitching in the ditch, but.... >

Stitching in the ditch, but....

Stitching in the ditch, but....

Old 03-04-2012, 08:16 AM

very nice!! I love blue!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:14 AM

Like some of the others, I too would quilt it diagonallyl Love that crosshatch look. More character than just itd. I also would machine quilt it as I'm not a hand-quilter. Diagonal is pretty easy by machine. Love your quilt! So warm and homey looking......just what I love!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:29 AM

I would do either a flying geese with points in to the quilt or gentle curves like an s in the white blocks and the diagonal stitching in the squares. Luann in CT
Old 03-04-2012, 10:37 AM

If it were my quilt, I would stitch 1/4-inch away from all the seams. I don't like to do diagonal quilting as it is hard to go through the intersections. Also, it is hard to stitch in the ditch, as I can't always stay in the ditch. I wouldn't reommend the 1/4-inch tape, as it gets sticky after using a couple times. I want all my stitches to show, and the best way for me is to quilt each piece 1/4 inch away from the seam. I eyeball it and my quilting lines are pretty consistent. That's the best way for me.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:52 AM

Very pretty quilt.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:00 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Your blue top is very pretty. I like the look of SITD but I am not very good at it. I like to use the Bernina stitch that makes a serpentine line instead. Using that I don't have to worry about keeping in the ditch or close to the ditch, I just aim for down the middle of the seam line. It always looks good and is much easier. Try a couple of samples and see what you like best.
I have a Bernina and am wondering what you mean by a serpentine line. Is it wavy?
Old 03-04-2012, 11:58 AM

If you do any stitching in the ditch, make sure you stitch right beside the seam on the side where the seam was not pressed. That way you are only going through 2 layers of fabric and the batting, not all the seam thicknesses. There are several advantages to not stitiching in the ditch...you can stay away from seams and the stitches show up better. I would stitch a design in the white rectangles just to have more quilting show up, even if it is just a row of diamonds or some other simple design. (I may be repeating someone else's advice. I didn't have time to read all the answers.) By the way, it is a very nice quilt. Good Job!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 12:01 PM

I love the blues in your quilt. I would do the diagonal stitch also. But whatever you choose will be lovely. By the way, if I had to lay a quilt on the floor & work on it, you could just leave me there. I wouldn't be able to get up, my back would hurt SO bad. Be sure to post pictures of the final project.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:36 PM

I would stitch diagonally across all the squares, continuing the line thru the white rectangles. This would leave an X pattern/cross-hatching. Get yourself some of that 1/8" wide masking tape and get on your way!
Old 03-04-2012, 12:38 PM

My cutting table is counter top height and that's where i baste. No more hurting back or knees. I can see doing it sitting at the kitchen table, but i'd want my chair on wheels so that i could roll from one end to the other...