Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitching in the ditch, but.... >

Stitching in the ditch, but....

Stitching in the ditch, but....

Old 03-05-2012, 09:14 AM

It is a beautiful quilt top. I tend to go toward hand quilting. It's the reward for all that sewing!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

I recently saw a quilt quite similar to yours where they did stich in the ditch down the sashing. In the 4 patch a design was quilted that covered the entire 4 patch
Old 03-05-2012, 09:57 AM

Blue is my favorite color as well. It is beautiful. I have only tied quilts by hand or stitched in ditch on machine for smaller projects. So I will listen to more experienced quilters as well. But beautiful. Teresa
Old 03-05-2012, 04:20 PM

Thank you all for your replies and nice comments! This quilt is for my almost 16 year old son...I am thinking I will do the stitch in the ditch for the white rectangles and diagonals for the rest. Still not sure about the border...but I do like the egg and dart pattern that was suggested. I have this very same top already done with Moda Soiree. I had wanted that one to be the one I first machine quilt on (since it will be for me). Will try something different for that one. I used a blue jelly roll that I got off ebay for this one and was quite pleased with the selection.

Oh...and I got this pattern from a book titled 'Jelly Roll Quilts' by Pam and Nicky Lintott

Thank you again, so much, for all your help!

Now to get it done..
Old 03-05-2012, 04:40 PM

Lovely quilt. You did such a good job. I like the diagonal idea too.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:47 PM

Very pretty quilt, whatever quilting route you choose will only make it prettier.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:22 PM

Very pretty quilt. I'm sure your son will love it.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:28 PM

Rachelg, I had a quilt with warm/natural as the batting & was having all kinds of trouble HQ it. Someone on a quilt group that I belong to said it is very hard to HQ through W/N. I sat down & took out all of the stitching that I had done (it was really quite alot)took uot the w/n & replaced it with Quilters Dream Request. It is like quilting through butter. As different as day & night. I thought it was me as I hadn't HQ for 25 yrs & I thought I had lost my touch. I will keep the W/N for my machine quilting. Just a thought. Have you HQ using W/N before?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:35 PM

I had heard once that stitching in the ditch was not good for the seams, but that may before good machine stitching (seams, that is).
Personally, I like to see the quilting, especially if I did it by hand, so in the ditch can be less visible.
1/4 inch from the seam is easy to do: after a while you really know what 1/4 inch is!
I have done diagonal lines and such and find my stitches start to wander, even if I think I know where I'm going...
:0
Old 03-09-2012, 02:39 PM

hi...thanks for your post! I just finished a quilt I handquilted with W/N....it was challenging sometimes. Sore hands and fingers some days, but it was okay. I am using warm and white for this one, but have not started yet. I have not tried the Quilter's Dream Request. I have some Quilter's Dream Cotton...same thing?? Also have some bamboo and hobbs wool to use....looking forward to a project with those battings. I have a very large UFO that I would love to handquilt with something that quilts like butter!